• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No start

69dc

Local time
5:22 AM
Reaction score
Trying to start my 69 Charger 440 for the first time and not having any luck. I have spark, I have fuel and the engine is in time and the firing order is correct. This motor was in the car when I got it so I am not real clear on what has been done to it. When I first try to start it it may pop a couple of times then just crank. Anyone have any ideas?

Popping is not firing at the right time.

180 out
Flat cam
Wrong firing order,,,,,,,,,,,,,to name a few.

Atleast you know you got fuel and spark lol

Advance and retard the dizzy while you crank it see if that helps any. Watch out for fire...

New cam according to the previous owner. Timing is on and firing order is correct. But thanks anyway.

If the engine has not run since the new cam was installed...I'm leaning towards the timing being 180 deg out :eusa_think:

New cam according to the previous owner. Timing is on and firing order is correct. But thanks anyway.

Is it a new motor or just a new cam?

If its popping through the carb and the cam is brand new Im here to tell you right now either the timing is off or the firing order is incorrect.

- - - Updated - - -

Or 180 out.........

It's not popping thru the carb. It fires a couple of times like it is going to start then just cranks with no fire. I just pulled the plugs on it and they are flooded. A new mild cam was installed in a 35000 mile motor before I got it. I set the initial timing at 10*btdc and set the firing order at 18436572 ccw.

Move the number 1 wire to where the number 6 wire is and then put them in proper firing order...

You know for a fact your getting good spark at the plugs?
On last rebuild I did, lol, new everything all around. On start, pure ran like crap! Chased things down for two days, re-checking everything half a dozen times. Wound up...only 3 plugs, out of a new set of 8, were firing right. Another new set of plugs, fired right off.

I agree with the guys...sounds like 180 out on timing. If things were firing right, you would be getting big time back-firing.
Real easy to get confused on TDC compression stroke, depending on the cam. Valve overlap, and that sort of thing. Sometimes, the finger on the spark plug hole doesn't cut it.

Simple thing (if nothing else), to reset dizzy 180, and see what happens. If it's firing off...it will let you know...one way, or the other!!

Just for the heck of it...TDC #1...both valves will be closed, either stroke. But, on exhaust stroke, they will be overlapping the amount the cam allows.

If it is badly flooded, and you're extra darn certainly surely absolutely properly and correctly ascertained that timing is right; pull all of the plugs and let it spin freely for a while to dry out the cylinders. Then clean and replace the plugs and break that sucker in.

That's where I'm at right now. I tried again to start it over the weekend and it acts like it going to run then just spins without firing. I have verified repeatedly that the timing is dead on and the firing order is correct. Pulled the plugs tonight and spun it for a bit to dry things out. Next project is to run a compression check to see if I'm flogging a dead horse.

Sounds like the right track.

Ever check if the plugs are sparking right? Could be simple as a bad coil wire, bad coil itself, or even a bad wire.

Good luck on it! You'll get it going.

Also verify that the ignition circuitry (all of it) is stable during cranking.

Can you post some pics of the dist cap with wires and one with the cap off and some over all pics with it on #1?. Someone might see something.

Since my last post I've removed the plugs and let everything dry out, I tried putting the dizzy in 180* opposite of where it is now, rechecked the firing order for the umpteenth time and put a new battery in it (even though the old one was good). Still no start. This time I made a you tube video of what it's doing. You can see it here. Any and all comments are welcome. Except the ones who tell me to recheck the timing. :<(.
https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=rG75zDpJogc&feature=em-upload_owner

I just tried it and it worked. Try again.

- - - Updated - - -

Try this one:https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2FrG75zDpJogc

They must give the person who uploads the video a different link.

- - - Updated - - -

https://youtu.be/rG75zDpJogc

Auto Transport Service
Back