• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

not charging

Nathan1965

Local time
8:25 AM
Reaction score
My name is Nathan and I have a 1965 Coronet with a 383 that now has electronic
ignition. I have accomplished this by using the Year One engine wiring harness
part number HU22M. the problem is well.. it won't charge. I have tried everything I can think of, changed and tested the voltage regulator, and tested the alternator. but interestingly there is no power on the stud of the alternator with the key on or off doesn't matter. But if you use a jump straight from the alternator to the battery it will charge.

I am not super against using a jumper wire or a 1 wire GM alternator but I'd like to keep it all Mopar, and the most important question of all is will my fusible link still protect my car with the jumper or 1 wire?

original post got deleted

Is the bulkhead fitting in good shape? That is a pet peeve of pretty much all MoPar gurus. If it's the original 59 year old bulkhead then that would be my first stop. Make sure there's nothing burnt up..

Screenshot_20240516-140242.png

I would hope that a Mod tapped it into silent mode by accident. Only one responder in that thread needed to go, not the thread!

Nothing gets deleted by "accident" here.. the odd time stuff gets put out of view to clean up, but that's it.

Post number 5 lays it out perfectly. If you run a jumper from the main power stud on the alt.to the battery and it charges, and if everything electrical works with the jumper disconnected, then the problem is in the main black power wire circuit. It goes through the bulkhead connector and ends up at the ammeter. Before it gets there it splits off to the ign. and light switches, fuse box etc. If everything electrical works, the problem is between the splice where the other wires join it and the alt.

Post number 5 lays it out perfectly. If you run a jumper from the main power stud on the alt.to the battery and it charges, and if everything electrical works with the jumper disconnected, then the problem is in the main black power wire circuit. It goes through the bulkhead connector and ends up at the ammeter. Before it gets there it splits off to the ign. and light switches, fuse box etc. If everything electrical works, the problem is between the splice where the other wires join it and the alt.
so there could be a problem where is deleted the ammeter and put the wires together?

Auto Transport Service
Back