• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Dipstick problems

Little Clem

Local time
5:47 AM
Reaction score
I am restoring an old Dodge Truck. We are putting in a 360 engine. I am having problems with the oil dipstick. I have try a universal one and the tube is bigger than the hole in the block. I have another one order it is a Milodon 22060. It was a crate engine and did not come with a dipstick or tube. I am considering drilling the block for the tube to fit (just a fraction bigger) but I want to try every option before I do. the dipstick goes in the front of the block on passenger side. Does any one have any suggestion?
Thanks for your Help.
Little Clem

You're going to drill the block to fit a dipstick tube ? Huh ? Get a proper size stock tube.

Shave the tube down slightly on a bench grinder. Do not drill block for tube, fit tube to block. Remember tube is easily replaceable.. Blocks are not

Drilling seems a bit drastic and impatient. But that is your call to make.

I vote you simply order/locate the correct dipstick and tube. Were you to drill the block, and the location later leak, you may be fighting an issue more easily solved with a better dipstick tube.

All the "small block" engine oil dipstick tubes should be the same: 318, 340 or 360 engines.

Many seem to be available for under $30 shipped.

I've run into this a few times in the past. My guess at the time was that they did not account for the chrome thickness when manufactured.

Use a file to go around the end of the tube until it fits. Be patient and remove material slowly as you want it to remain round and fit tightly so as to get a good seal.

I first did this crude method many years ago ( I may still have that washer somewhere in one of my toolboxes, lol ). In order to maintain contour, roll fine sandpaper around the tube insert and rotate the paper to take it down. It must remain concentric, if you grind it you may risk a leak. Cut a thick washer which just fits over the diameter of the tube and will rest on the tube ridge. Light oil on the tube end and the block hole. Tap on an open-end wrench with a small hammer as you hold it on that washer, as you insert the tube into the block hole.

One thing to check is it's possible you have the broken end of a tube still in the block. If not , do like all the others advise do not drill. Get the correct tube.

I am restoring an old Dodge Truck. We are putting in a 360 engine. I am having problems with the oil dipstick. I have try a universal one and the tube is bigger than the hole in the block. I have another one order it is a Milodon 22060. It was a crate engine and did not come with a dipstick or tube. I am considering drilling the block for the tube to fit (just a fraction bigger) but I want to try every option before I do. the dipstick goes in the front of the block on passenger side. Does any one have any suggestion?
Thanks for your Help.
Little Clem
Use a "Bigger" hammer...

Auto Transport Service
Back