• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil leak at times

66CoronetMan

Local time
1:23 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone I have a question about the 4 holes on the back of the motor mainly the 2 hole on the left and right of the crank. So when I am running my engine at idle does great 50 psi of oil pressure then if I give a bit of rpm oil will start to come out of the bell hosing I am wondering where or why that would happen? From what I can tell it is not the new rear main seal. Just curious if y'all think that is where my oil leak is coming from and if I should plug it what size are the plugs?

Screenshot_20241021-085108.png

I’m not sure what your circled hole is, but there are two threaded plugs in the areas you describe (right/left) that plugged the back of the lifter galleys. (They can leak, but rarely). There’s also the rear main seal you mentioned (common oil leaking problem) and the front of the transmission (manual or automatic). Those are the 3 places that can leak oil out of the bellhousing

The exposed holes you see are the bottoms of the rear main seal retainer bolt holes. If you get oil coming out of these holes, you have a rear main leak problem.

You stated "new" rear main. Chances are good it's the rear main. The seal itself is probably not bad, but the procedure used in installing the seal and cap is what causes leaks.

Use a $10 Harbor Frieght regulator. Set it to 3-5psi and attach to the pcv port on the valve covers. Block the breather and tape up the dipstick. Spray with soapy water and watch for bubbles. You will find any leak easily. My be is it could be the cam plug. Just fixed mine.
Doug

Hi everyone I have a question about the 4 holes on the back of the motor mainly the 2 hole on the left and right of the crank. So when I am running my engine at idle does great 50 psi of oil pressure then if I give a bit of rpm oil will start to come out of the bell hosing I am wondering where or why that would happen? From what I can tell it is not the new rear main seal. Just curious if y'all think that is where my oil leak is coming from and if I should plug it what size are the plugs?

View attachment 1744597
Those are bolt holes for the rear main seal cap bolts.

Auto Transport Service
Back