• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Level Question

real0803

Local time
5:29 PM
Reaction score
Is this normal level for oil ? At one point I remember being it on the high end .

20240726_182116.jpg

What car and engine are you asking about? It's inside of the operating range marks on the gauge.

Is this normal level for oil ? At one point I remember being it on the high end .

View attachment 1701154
You asked about oil level. And im pretty sure dadabee's response was to that. And since we have all types of folks on here, you did mean oil pressure level when you asked? Because that's what that guage indicates, not the level of oil in the engine. And oil pressure is influenced by engine temperature and oil viscosity.

The first step is to ALWAYS confirm with a known good gauge…
...and confirm the dipstick is the correct length. :rolleyes: Longer dipstick might make the reading higher.

...and confirm the dipstick is the correct length. :rolleyes: Longer dipstick might make the reading higher.

Since the OP posted a picture of their oil pressure gauge, I assumed that they meant pressure instead of level.

View attachment 1701154
FYI, that is pressure and not level. Factory gauges are just a guess. One step better than a idiot light. Like suggested, put a good manual gauge on it to test or install a gauge for a permanent look. 10# at idle is my minimum. Most engines run around 50# at rpm. (2000 or more)

1722138091875.png
Keep pouring oil into the engine until you see the needle on the gauge approach the " H" , then you'll know it's full.

Did you get the answer you were looking for?
Yes thanks I was confusing the oil level with the pressure . I asked because I have never seen the pressure that low before it's always on the higher end.

My 440 starts mid gauge at startup and after 30mins driving its just to the right of the left side of "good". In the winter it starts higher but after 30mins it's down to the same place. I have a standalone gauge hidden in the glove box to see the actual number. It reacts faster than the dash gauge when I'm romping on it.

Yes thanks I was confusing the oil level with the pressure . I asked because I have never seen the pressure that low before it's always on the higher end.
oil old or low? Maybe time to change it.

Auto Transport Service
Back