• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ok, time to rebuild my 505 for the street

Justasgood

Local time
3:16 PM
Reaction score
So I’ve decided the 505 striker I bought was a little too radical for what I want. So we are tearing it down and making changes. To be clear, I’m not looking to make maximum HP. I figure 505ci with a well matched cam,TC and rear end gear will give me all the happiness I seek. Won’t be going to the track.

Will be in my 73 Charger GVW of 3800 I think.

Here’s what we are going to assemble and I need a cam recommendation from the group.

Bore is 4.360, stroke is 3.750
I will be using 440 source heads Stealth heads. Specs:
IMG_0098.png
IMG_0100.png
IMG_0099.png

Pistons will be:

IMG_0101.png

Crane 1.5 roller rockers and the engine mated to 727 with rear end gear of 3:23. Tires cooper 295/50R15 with a height of 27”

TTI 1 7/8” headers 3” collectors

Edelbrock Torker ll intake
Carb undecided(need recommendations)
Current pistons:

IMG_0089.png
IMG_0088.png

PTC building a tight 9 1/2”( I think that’s what he said or 9”) 2500-3000 stall converter.

So with all that, I need a cam that:

Sounds cammed, but will work with what I have described. Target compression to be around 10.5:

What other info is needed for Cam selection?

Thanks again, and please accept my apologies for any misspelling or things that don’t make sense. Still trying to get me meds right(evening in emergency room after a reaction to meds that left me unable to breathe properly for about 2 hours. Got an injection of effenephrine and a couple albuteral breathing treatments and I’m back home)
Cam options I’velooked at:

IMG_0103.png
IMG_0104.png

IMG_0102.png

Last edited:
Im curious why anyone would tear apart a $10 thousand dollar motor to build another one??? Sounds to me like a typical hot 440 would suit your needs just fine.

Is there another thread that details what the engine is now? If not, what's the details on it. I agree it may be wiser to sell and build another

I see that now, bummer on the valve, but still, if the engine isn't what you want but the rest is in good shape this is the expensive route unless I would think

Im curious why anyone would tear apart a $10 thousand dollar motor to build another one??? Sounds to me like a typical hot 440 would suit your needs just fine.
The motor was built by Big2 engine builders in Gulfport, MS. The founder passed and the shop has been closed for some time. This engine was built over 2-4 years ago and it sat in a shop. The owner turned it by hand a few times a month during that time.

I intended to use it as built and discovered the stock converter wouldn’t work. So I started a thread seeking advice. I just want to enjoy cruising and an occasional tire roasting burnout.

I ordered a converter as outlined in this post and we began pulling off the heads to get the engine specs we lacked. Type of piston, compression etc.

Discovered a broken intake valve and got the cam specs.

Now I have to put it together again and am seeking advice on how to achieve what I seek.

Funny that a Hot 440 is mentioned because I have a 440 in the shop. The 440 source heads were for that build. I was going to give that motor to my buddy who owns the shop for his 67 Dart.

All I want to do is get my car back in the road.

I regret pulling the 383( bores .40 ) and running well for this swap.

But I am determined to get this 505 matches to what I want for a cruising tire smoker.

I welcome all advice and admonishment as I certainly am in over my head.

Thanks for the replies and keep em coming.

I see that now, bummer on the valve, but still, if the engine isn't what you want but the rest is in good shape this is the expensive route unless I would think
So what would you suggest? Changing the valve seems pretty straightforward but I still have a very high compression motor with a Cam needing(according to the specs) a 3500 stall and a minimum 3:73 gear.

I would sell that engine and start fresh.
Essentially now you're throwing away that money from that purchase.
Now, if in it's current state it needs honed and needs rings and bearings and such then I guess it's a wash and it stinks that the engine got ruined before you bought it

If you have a 3.75 stroke , you don't have a 505. You have a plain ole 440.

If you have a 3.75 stroke , you don't have a 505. You have a plain ole 440.
Yes I am getting assistance from a builder and he surmises based on the basic info that it is a 440 bored .040 over. I am getting my buddy to get some more info by pulling the pan and checking the connecting rods and the piston tdc to deck and bottom to get a precise compression number. Then we will look at possibly a .067 gasket to get compression to 11.27:1. (See below)

As for money spent, I paid $3500 for the engine so I think, changing a valve and investing in some cometic head gaskets will still be a good deal.

Time will tell. IMG_0109.png

I also have the 440 I bought from a member here that I have accumulated parts for that worse case scenario, I’ll have it built.

IMG_2682.jpeg
IMG_2681.jpeg
IMG_2679.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back