• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old NASCAR was the best!

NASCAR ? NASCAR ? That hasn't been a reputable event for DECADES.
It's unrecognizable today, corporate spokesmen instead of drivers, whiners throwing their helmets when they get rubbed. They would not have lasted through the sixties to the nineties. Could you imagine one of those clowns throwing a helmet at Dale Earnhardt, or Terry Labonte ? Maybe at D. Waltrip :)

Daytona 500, 2023.
I think the fifth car has a modified hood?
Apart from that that, THEY all look THE SAME!
I haven't seen Nascar since the mid 2000's!
NO POINT at all...

nascar-cup-daytona-500-2023.jpg

1969 was the best year in my book.
After the 19 wins by the Charger 500, it was sidelined.
But it did morph into the Daytona, NUFF SAID...

SMOKING...

Bobby Allison 22.jpg

Daytona 500, 2023.
NO POINT at all...

View attachment 1583160
They don’t all look the same, They have different decals! And that makes them special by goolly.

The current generation of cars have different hoods.

Look close.

Daytona 500, 2023.
NO POINT at all...

View attachment 1583160
Nascar tracks every race and documents the air/screen time every sponsor's name/logo is televised. Your pic of that 5 pack of cars in one shot is nirvana for the Nascar cash register.
The awesome pic of the 22 in a 4 wheel slide is dead air for NASCAR, and here we are.

Boring cars, boring drivers, stupid rules trying to make a basketball game out of a car race. Might as well decal them up so they look like an i-phone as far as I'm concerned. They had a chance to get back to the roots when the Challenger, Mustang and Camaro were all in production along with the Coyote, LS whatever and the G3 Hemi but that ship has sailed now.

Make them EV’s that will draw a crowd! They can pipe in engine sounds over the loudspeaker.

We have EV formula 1 in Europe.
All it is,,, is a procession on whining scalextric cars!

Sport in general has become BIG Bucks for the advertisers.
They say that you could remove the crowds from games and still make money...

We have our own memories of PAST MOPAR Glories, that the kids today won't understand?
I'm just happy to have seen some of the Dodges run in the 2000's!

Just imagine what it was like when the Wing cars were at their Glorious best!
Turn 9 at Riverside, what a site...( B-bodies forever) another great site too...

download (18).jpg

These old races were insane, what a time to be a race fan.

Here is a Polaroid from that race from the winner circle.
As a kid, if you acted like you belonged there and maybe where a child of somebody important a lot of doors were opened.:lol:

AJ Foyt Winners circle Daytona Firecraker 400 1964.jpg

You don't see a present day NASCAR winner smiling like that after a race.

You don't see a present day NASCAR winner smiling like that after a race.
You are right, they are all stressed trying to remember all the sponsor names they have to rattle off in every answer to the press.

But take my next comment with a grain of salt from a 12 years old memory, AJ was a fantastic driver in anything he drove over many decades, but being around him at Daytona and Sebring back then, he was a prick.
In all fairness to the last part, that was not the case with Fireball, Petty, Mario, etc

You are right, they are all stressed trying to remember all the sponsor names they have to rattle off in every answer to the press.

But take my next comment with a grain of salt from a 12 years old memory, AJ was a fantastic driver in anything he drove over many decades, but being around him at Daytona and Sebring back then, he was a prick.
AJ Foyt ? Just looking at a picture of him you could tell he was a prick.

Auto Transport Service
Back