• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One or two horns on 71 Road Runner?

RRSweden

Local time
7:38 AM
Reaction score
I've looked around a bit and find it a bit confusing. Some -71 RR's has two and some only has one horns.
Mine has two horns and the inner fender has holes for both of them and the wiring-harness has two horn-connections.
Was this an option, or why does some cars have one and some has two?

Genuine Road Runner has one horn.

All cars had a loom and fixing holes suited to two horns.

Thank you.

Good thing it's easy for me to make my car 'genuine' then :)

Genuine Road Runner has one horn.

All cars had a loom and fixing holes suited to two horns.

Hey Kiwi.......didn't the '68 Road Runners have 2 black horns? I'm not sure, just asking.

The reason there are two connections for horns is because the satellite need both so you can connect the high tone and low tone horns, so the harness is the same for roadrunner but only uses one horn. You can do two if you like, and I am doing this, but not all roadrunner horns are tuned exactly the same, so you will get a small amount of tone variation if you run two roadrunner horns. You can adjust the tone on these horns with the little screw to get them as close as possible if you run two roadrunner horns.

The reason there are two connections for horns is because the satellite need both so you can connect the high tone and low tone horns, so the harness is the same for roadrunner but only uses one horn. You can do two if you like, and I am doing this, but not all roadrunner horns are tuned exactly the same, so you will get a small amount of tone variation if you run two roadrunner horns. You can adjust the tone on these horns with the little screw to get them as close as possible if you run two roadrunner horns.
Thanks for explaining!
My lower horn must be from a satellite then. It has the right colour, but not the decal.

The high and low tone horns look like these.
horns.jpg

Roadrunner horns look like these either purple or black depending on year.
MB1877.jpg
MB1874.jpg

If its original horn, most likely the sticker has worn off. Also, I believe the 71/72 have a longer bracket, and maybe the 70 as well, but not 100% sure which years have that bracket. 73/74 are the short bracket shown in the pics.

I'm pretty sure the lower horn has a longer bracket than the upper.

the horn on the right is the correct horn for your 1971 road runner
nos horns are in pic below
notice that they are even a shade off in color..
DSCF8314_zpslgo0vybi.jpg

I went ahead and added two horns to mine. The "meep-meep" was replaced by "MEEP-MEEP" which helps me get people out of the way when my nitrous trigger finger is getting a little "itchy"

I'm restoring a 69 and had the same question. I can always count on FBBO for answers. What do you do with the extra wire? Zip tie it out of the way or just pray it doesn't ground when you meep meep?

What do you do with the extra wire? Zip tie it out of the way or just pray it doesn't ground when you meep meep?
I tied mine in a small loose knot.
The insulated housing on the end should prevent any unwanted grounding or short to the circuit.

Auto Transport Service
Back