• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on cylinder pressures.

sloinker

Local time
8:17 PM
Reaction score
Been a while! Life gets in the way it seems of anything Mopar related the last couple years.

B-440
Stone cold
Throttle blades open
1- 126
3- 127
5- 126
7- 135

2- 126
4- 123
6- 129
8- 127

With the headers it is extremely hard to get to about half of the plugs. I just wanted a baseline and may in the future warm it up and attempt to re-check the cylinder PSI hopefully without 2nd/3rd degree burns. All the plugs were rich, so I need to change the step rods or jets a size. No smoke of any color from the exhaust or breather. Good vacuum. So is this engine laying down or is it gonna be ok? I have a slight intermittent miss but I also have plug wires that have gotten too close to the headers.....so new wires, hi temp sleeves and better routing.
What say you?
Thanks!

A quick note on plug wires, I had very close wires, plug boots did not help, still burned/melted. I changed all out to Taylor ceramic boots, no issue at all now. Just take your time on cutting and installing.

Very well balanced and should run good. I would have expected cylinder pressures to be somewhat higher, but you did state that it was "stone cold " and that may be the determining factor.

The 1970 FSM says minimum 110. (And 1970's might have more compression than you.) And no more than 40 pound variance. And you are 12 so it looks like you're golden.

Good balance. If it has a stock cam it is a low compression engine, 8.0-1. It should run smoothly and well.
Doug

Hmmm. Yes, you are okay. The cylinders and rings are probably okay. But those numbers are pretty low if the goal is making good horsepower. It probably has low compression pistons in it.

Everyone makes a big deal about the engine being warm and the throttle open. I’ve personally never seen 5 psi difference.

To answer the question about oil being squirted in. No. Stock pistons from 1966. So probably not making its 350 advertised horsepower anymore.
Thanks for the replies!

Auto Transport Service
Back