• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overcharging problem solved

mpro69rr

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:31 PM
Reaction score
Well, after some testing, how-to on this forum, I solved my overcharging problem. My 69 RR 383 4 speed was getting 14.5v idling and over 15v 3000rpm. With the testing I saw my FLD wire getting 11.5v which would explained the overcharging. I tried two regulators and received the same thing. I finally found a solid state regulator that has volt set at 14.5 and was only $8.99, I know, pretty cheap but it worked. With the car warmed up the car gets 13.9v at idle and at 3000rpm it gets 14.4v. I tried 4000rpm and it stayed at 14.5v. Not bad for a cheap regulator, hard to find one with a volt set of 14.5, actually its the only one I found. If your looking for one I got this one at 230-10001 Mopar Chrysler Dodge Voltage Regulator Electronic Solid State.

I also bought a 1970's style adjustable electronic regulator that I may use with a 2 FLD 95amp powermaster ALT that I have. I might change it over later because I found that everyone said it was a better choice but we will see. Over the last two weeks I solved a overheating and a overcharging problem, what a relief!

Following definitive, methodical troubleshooting, as opposed to throwing arrows all over the place for a solution, is a time-tested recipe for success. Well done !

Good to hear you got it sorted out. Probably should buy a spare or 2 at that price. That is the first 69 and older electronic style regulator I have heard of that doesn't put out at least 15 volts within the last several years.

Good for you for posting what you did to solve the problem. Would be nice if everyone would post the solutions to the problems. Many of the posts seen on FBBO and other forums asking for advise seldom post what they did to solve the problem.

Good to hear you got it sorted out. Probably should buy a spare or 2 at that price. That is the first 69 and older electronic style regulator I have heard of that doesn't put out at least 15 volts within the last several years.
Yes, I plan on buying more. All previous ones I bought always put to much voltage, I noticed that with the other two I used and it was always like that. I also had a $48 one do it too a while ago and to think an $8.99 one fixed the problem.

Good for you for posting what you did to solve the problem. Would be nice if everyone would post the solutions to the problems. Many of the posts seen on FBBO and other forums asking for advise seldom post what they did to solve the problem.
Thanks, I always try and post the resolution, most of the time.

Well, after some testing, how-to on this forum, I solved my overcharging problem. My 69 RR 383 4 speed was getting 14.5v idling and over 15v 3000rpm. With the testing I saw my FLD wire getting 11.5v which would explained the overcharging. I tried two regulators and received the same thing. I finally found a solid state regulator that has volt set at 14.5 and was only $8.99, I know, pretty cheap but it worked. With the car warmed up the car gets 13.9v at idle and at 3000rpm it gets 14.4v. I tried 4000rpm and it stayed at 14.5v. Not bad for a cheap regulator, hard to find one with a volt set of 14.5, actually its the only one I found. If your looking for one I got this one at 230-10001 Mopar Chrysler Dodge Voltage Regulator Electronic Solid State.

I also bought a 1970's style adjustable electronic regulator that I may use with a 2 FLD 95amp powermaster ALT that I have. I might change it over later because I found that everyone said it was a better choice but we will see. Over the last two weeks I solved an overheating and an overcharging problem, what a relief!
I missed the cooling issue. Link or fix real quick

I missed the cooling issue. Link or fix real quick
Going by what I found on the forum, I went from a 22" to a 26" Griffin radiator with 2 rows 1 1/4 inch tubes (to get ready for A/C), fan shroud, 6 blade fan, no clutch, high flow 180 thermostat and flow cooler water pump. It stays in the low 180's in Florida heat. I'm not sure yet what it will be when I add A/C but I'm hoping it won't add much, I'm adding Classic Air. Now I am going to see if I can solve my 3 speed wiper switch problem, sometimes it works and then don't, no middle speed, brand new rebuilt motor, by searching the forum.

Great news. I had a similar issue a few years back and swapped in an adjustable voltage regulator and it fixed it. I was not aware that the fixed voltage types vary in voltage. It's good to have options.

Great news. I had a similar issue a few years back and swapped in an adjustable voltage regulator and it fixed it. I was not aware that the fixed voltage types vary in voltage. It's good to have options.
Yes, they vary, the blue 1970's one that is a set 13.5v does not vary, it stays at a constant 13.5v, which is not good for the battery when its charged all the way. It took me a lot of searching to find this one, it varies up to 14.5v.

Going by what I found on the forum, I went from a 22" to a 26" Griffin radiator with 2 rows 1 1/4 inch tubes (to get ready for A/C), fan shroud, 6 blade fan, no clutch, high flow 180 thermostat and flow cooler water pump. It stays in the low 180's in Florida heat. I'm not sure yet what it will be when I add A/C but I'm hoping it won't add much, I'm adding Classic Air. Now I am going to see if I can solve my 3 speed wiper switch problem, sometimes it works and then don't, no middle speed, brand new rebuilt motor, by searching the forum.
Thanks for the info. Maybe better ground on 3 stud posts for wiper or switch and its contacts?

Thanks for the info. Maybe better ground on 3 stud posts for wiper or switch and its contacts?
Actually, I just got in from the garage and got the wipers working in all 3 speeds! I had 2 wires reversed, I checked it with a pic I got off the forum. I don't know if it works with the car running but it works in the ACC position. I'll test it with the car running later on, my wife hates the house full off carbon monoxide when I run it in the garage even with the door open. I also got the windshield washer switch working with the pump. I just need to install the hoses. Two wins for today!

Actually, I just got in from the garage and got the wipers working in all 3 speeds! I had 2 wires reversed, I checked it with a pic I got off the forum. I don't know if it works with the car running but it works in the ACC position. I'll test it with the car running later on, my wife hates the house full off carbon monoxide when I run it in the garage even with the door open. I also got the windshield washer switch working with the pump. I just need to install the hoses. Two wins for today!
Score

Oh well, it was good while it lasted! LOL The new voltage regulator went south, the voltage went back up to 15v. I had the 1970's style VR so I installed that and the 2 FLD 95amp powermaster ALT today. I got the wiring diagram here on the forum, which was great, I forget who gave it to me. I followed the diagram and it was easy. I fired her up and revved it to 4000rpm after warm up and received 14.8v. Its an adjustable VR so I turned the little screw on the back and now I get 13.9v idle and around 14.4v revving to 4000rpm. I love the adjustability of this VR and now everything is working great! I hope this one lasts because all of the 1969 solid state VR's I bought always went to over 15v. From what I have been reading I should be all set! Thanks to the forum and all the helpful people!

Man that’s a bummer. I remembered this post today when I figured out my battery isn’t happy with the 13.34 volts I was getting from my solid state reg. But yours failed so….

I bought one off eBay that failed completely in 100 miles. Found another seller and this one is still going after probably 1200 miles, but the battery hasn’t been happy this summer. I first thought it was the starter, but then the charger said 75%. I read on the battery site that it was wants 14.5 to be happy.

Man that’s a bummer. I remembered this post today when I figured out my battery isn’t happy with the 13.34 volts I was getting from my solid state reg. But yours failed so….

I bought one off eBay that failed completely in 100 miles. Found another seller and this one is still going after probably 1200 miles, but the battery hasn’t been happy this summer. I first thought it was the starter, but then the charger said 75%. I read on the battery site that it was wants 14.5 to be happy.
If your not staying stock you can go the other route I went, I can adjust my voltage and so far works great, of course I haven't had it that long.

Auto Transport Service
Back