• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PBS- Vietnam by Ken Burns

I was in Platoon 342 at Parris Island. Graduated in April, 1966. I am sure that we stood on that parade field awaiting to go in for chow at the same time.
At least you weren't a blasted "Hollywood Marine" ! Lol

2120 hours && finally CCR and some good tunes!

My neighbors dad was a Marine in VN and was wounded in action. His wife lost her brother KIA in 1968 after only a little over a month there. She told me she watched it more for the political end, i wouldn't ask her how she felt. She told me her husband wouldn't watch it. The story goes the brother and her husband met at the recruiting station and joined together. The brother at some point introduced his new friend to his sister. They obviously hit it off and got married after his tour, the brother never made it home. There son is named after his uncle.

I just watched all 10 episodes on the PBS app on ROKU. I was born in 61 and barely remember seeing some black and white news reports. It's sad that we still get involved in foreign wars having learned none of the valuable lessons from Vietnam.

I think the film was done very well and would recommend it to anyone.

I knew Nixon was not a great president but now I know he was a horrible human being and his name could be used in the same manor as Hitler.

I knew Nixon was not a great president but now I know he was a horrible human being and his name could be used in the same manor as Hitler.
"Power corrupts" , Hitler analogy is a little weak though,IMHO. But overall I think a very good show.

Nixon was Johnson in a different suit. Johnson planned the attack in the Gulf, and largely was responsible for that War. Sadly, that War was won in 1968 during the TET offensive. Vietnamese General Giap admitted In his Memoirs that after the huge losses, he decided then to call off the war. that was Until Cronkite went on the National news to say the war was lost. So, Giap took a gamble and waited. end of story. We were our worst enemy. We shouldn't have gone there, and when we did, we didn't know how to win. I worked with a retired Infantry Colonel from The era in 1986, and he said with absolute certainty that the U.S.Army never lost a major battle. But they couldn't beat the Politicians.

And to say one more statement. After Ken Burns contributed heavily to to the Clinton campaign, and referred to Obama as the coming of another Abraham Lincoln, I was done with him.

Auto Transport Service
Back