• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Piston Damage

Andrew

Local time
1:46 AM
Reaction score
Any one have an opinion on how bad this piston looks? The rest are not this bad, but I guess I have to act on the worst case. What caused this? Can it be reused?

Feb 9 engine shots 002.jpg

Feb 9 engine shots 005.jpg

Feb 9 engine shots 011.jpg

Feb 9 engine shots 013.jpg

Scuffing, usually caused from over heating, the wear patterns, when excessive can cause pistons to cock sightly in the bores, not good.........Sorry, but your Piston is now an over sized paperweight, ......I wouldn't install it in my Engines.

Scuffing, usually caused from over heating, the wear patterns, when excessive can cause pistons to cock sightly in the bores, not good.........Sorry, but your Piston is now an over sized paperweight, ......I wouldn't install it in my Engines.

I agree, that's pretty bad :yes:

Is that the only piston that's scuffed? I'd check the piston to bore! Measure across the skirt. Then check your bore in 3-4 different places. I don't know what type of use your motor is stock, street, street/race, all out racing. Could also be it's not holding oil in the ring, check the positions of the oil rings. could have got hot and like the other guy said and the skirt will swell up. Also could be To much piston rock if the bores to big. Cylinder could be out of round. I'd start with checking the bores and measuring the pistons. Do you have a bore gauge and a 4-5" mic?

yep that is definately scuffing. could of been the crosshatch pattern wasnt holding oil. that cylinder was running hot maybe b/c of buildup in the water jackets or the cylinder is outta round. if all cylinders look like this i would say you were engine dusting. drawing dirty air into the cylinders.

I'm pretty sure some metal ran through the motor. One of the cam bearings came apart somewhat. It spun 1/8 turn and blocked the oil passage. I don't know how much damage that would caus, but it's the only thing I noticed. I was told if the piston to bore checks out ok the pistons can be glass beaded and reused. Any thoughts on that?

Feb_9_engine_shots_017[1].jpg

This looks like you realy overheated the motor and that caused the oil to no longer cool the short block. If it was not for the cam bearing id say you got lucky. Now you need to get the engine block checked for cracks. THen have the machine shop check the block with a straight edge on the bottom of the block. The mopar blcok should use the oil pan mating surface to get a bore condition "Cylinder core shift, also check for blocked water jacket around that cylinder using snic testing.

What do the rod bearings look like? Let me ask you this. were you racing this when this happened or were you driving around town when it happened? The other question is were you watching the oil pressure gauge, before you heard it making noise. I'm assuming you heard it making noise and then glanced down at the gauge. Now that I see your cam bearing, I would forget about the piston and bore for now and now start looking into your oil pump and see if it's any good and try to bench test it, then move on to your oil galleys. I know there's a buch of **** in your motor now but, if the pump checks out ok. run through your oil galleys and look for blockage but determine bearing material from other metal. when your machineist put the cam bearings in were they tight?
When was the motor built?

The rod bearings don't look bad, there is a faint scratch here and there. I plan on changing them. I just bought the motor. I did hava a chance to run it and drive it, but I did not hear anything unusual, maybe someone else would have, but nothing obvious. The motor was built 10 years ago.

Auto Transport Service
Back