• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please help before i burn my car to the ground

Ellis

Local time
7:06 PM
Reaction score
Please help before i burn my car to the ground, i have replaced all my wire harness from classic industries and i am still having a problem. I have also replaced my neutral safety switch and starter relay. For some reason now i have no lights either. I have a 74 Charger with a new 30 over 383 and a 727 new from the trany shop. I have replaced every wire in the car and all the grounds are tight and on metal not paint; i am at a loss guys. The seat belt switch is unhooked both from the switch and the seat as well. Please if you have ran into this before give me some place to start. Thank you

Ground strap from engine block to firewall? Dead wire connection in the fuse block?

Will only turn over with a stew driver

Check starter relay and or neutral saftey switch? Just a thought..

Step back, say a prayer, walk around a few minutes (or days) and come back to it.. you will get it!

Godspeed,
JON

Well... let's see here.... for it to crank you need a few things.. since you can jump the relay and it cranks over that pretty much eliminates the starter being bad, you can test and see if it's something in the neutral safety switch by running a ground wire to the lug that the NSS connects to, if it cranks over on the key with that lug grounded you know it's something to deal with that

Please help before i burn my car to the ground, i have replaced all my wire harness from classic industries and i am still having a problem. I have also replaced my neutral safety switch and starter relay. For some reason now i have no lights either. I have a 74 Charger with a new 30 over 383 and a 727 new from the trany shop. I have replaced every wire in the car and all the grounds are tight and on metal not paint; i am at a loss guys. The seat belt switch is unhooked both from the switch and the seat as well. Please if you have ran into this before give me some place to start. Thank you

I know you've probably already done it, BUT... Double check all the connections & grounds make sure it's wired correctly

Attachments

• Chrysler Ignition Wire Diagram w-5-pin module & 4 spade dual ballast.jpg
    Chrysler Ignition Wire Diagram w-5-pin module & 4 spade dual ballast.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 192
  • Chrysler 72 engine harness Diagrams.jpg
    Chrysler 72 engine harness Diagrams.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 183
  • Chrysler Electronic Ignition distributor air gap .008 view #11.gif
    Chrysler Electronic Ignition distributor air gap .008 view #11.gif
    37.2 KB · Views: 190
  • Chrysler Elec. Ign. wire diagram #1 4 pin Ballast & electronic regulator #12.jpg
    Chrysler Elec. Ign. wire diagram #1 4 pin Ballast & electronic regulator #12.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 172
I just went through a major electrical nightmare. At the end of the day it was the high/low beam floor switch not grounded to the floor. Good luck I know how you feel.

PS - what condition is your ignition switch in?

I would do as seax suggested, to put a little clarity on it I'll explain how it works. The neutral safety switch has three terminals, the two outside ones is the reverse light switch and the center one is the neutral safety switch. When in neutral the shifter shaft makes contact with the neutral safety switch making a ground, the ground then goes to the - on the starter relay, the + is already there so as soon as you supply a ground the relay pulls in and presto it cranks. Hooking a ground to that terminal will tell you if it's working. I would test the ignition switch as well, you can pull the plug off and put 12V to the start terminal to see if it's the switch. But the headlights??? I guess I'd start with testing for 12V at the headlight switch feed then check the dimmer switch, if you have voltage at both then check it at the headlights and if you have there then I'd look into the ground. Where do you have the grounds hooked up, should be battery to engine block, block to body. I just went threw this and it was a faulty "brand new Ron Francis ign switch" but mine would do everything but start. Keep us posted

Thanks for all your help, it just occurred to me what paladin 06 said. I hooked everything up expect the high low switch. I would have never thought that would give me a problem. Thank you, this weekend I will be back at it and will give you all a update.

Auto Transport Service
Back