• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post question...

Chryco69

Local time
3:27 PM
Reaction score
What was the point of the post option on a 1969 B Body? Why would someone be sold on the post option?

Cheaper, lighter, stiffer, faster.
I much prefer post cars to hardtops, for all the above reasons.

It boggles my mind that the manufacturers offered cars in both designs. To me, it seems counterproductive and against financial sense.
Two sets of roof skins and structures, two different styles of doors, the different glass, etc.
What sense did this make? Why not make one design and save on all of those duplicate costs?
They had to make machines to stamp all the different parts.
In the case of the A body cars, the windshields and back glass was different too.
Again, what sense is there to any of this?
I understand the need to make a 4 door with a B pillar. The large opening for the 2 doors on each side would require some type of additional chassis stiffening elsewhere.

It boggles my mind that the manufacturers offered cars in both designs. To me, it seems counterproductive and against financial sense.
Two sets of roof skins and structures, two different styles of doors, the different glass, etc.
What sense did this make? Why not make one design and save on all of those duplicate costs?
They had to make machines to stamp all the different parts.
In the case of the A body cars, the windshields and back glass was different too.
Again, what sense is there to any of this?
I understand the need to make a 4 door with a B pillar. The large opening for the 2 doors on each side would require some type of additional chassis stiffening elsewhere.

I'm just thankful they made the 68-70 post B bodies appealing, it's harder to tell them apart a glance since the door doesn't have the full frame around the glass. And all the metal is the same I think, only difference being the post itself and the side glass.

The '67-69 A body Dart 2 door sedan roof lines look like **** (sorry, but it's the truth), and the 2 door sedan Forward Look era cars are the ugliest of them all. They look like a 4 door sedan with the rear door seams welded up. I love the 1957-59 forward look cars in hardtop form (either 2 or 4 door), but in sedan form, they were they ugliest things on the road.

Mopar really dropped the ball on sedan styling in the 50-60's.

1_3619.jpg plymouth-1957-fury-sides.jpg

Last edited:
What was the point of the post option on a 1969 B Body? Why would someone be sold on the post option?

I think the main/only reason on 68-70 B bodies was cost. It eliminated the roll down window mechanism. That's why the '68 Roadrunner and Super Bee were initially only offered as post cars, to keep the cost down.

I know a lot of the racers back in the day preferred the post cars because they were lighter and stronger. I like them both and have 1 of each so I am covered.

It was about options...be apretty bland world if only given one choice.

Strictly from a styling standpoint, I prefer the hardtops. Like KD said, I don't understand why they would offer both, considering the production cost involved, but hey... I'm just glad they offered the hardtop!

I dont think cost werr the prime motivator pre 70. Cars werr about style and personality, mfgs wanted sales and wanted to offer the most choices compared to the other big 2.
It wasnt until impending oil crisis that cooperations reallly looked for profits in cutting choices & values engineering .
It was the obvious low hanging fruit, as they could not rely of sales numbers any longer.

A dealer told me, There's an *** for every seat! Maybe that's why post and hard top? All the bases covered. ruffcut

Yup, it was cheaper to produce the coupe vs the HT but the coupe was also lighter and it saved time in production to not have to install rear roll up window. Sedans were always lighter but they knew the sedan roof wouldn't be a good seller so, build the car with a good looking roof line vs the more family mundane look. I still like the sedan looks of the previous years but really liked the looks of the 68-70 coupes. Anyone ever notice how the trunk lid sounds when you closed it? No sound deadening/putty between the skin and structure at all on most I've dealt with. The factory scrimped everywhere they could to save time money and weight.....at least that's the way it appeared. The cars were a big hit though but the requests poured in asking for a HT version too.

The a body post cars look like they were made for people with 5+ finger foreheads

I wish I had the images with me to share. My dad converted his post super bee to non post in 1985. He said it wasnt a big deal....

I wish I had the images with me to share. My dad converted his post super bee to non post in 1985. He said it wasnt a big deal....
From what I hear, it's not a big deal to convert. I have a 66 Belvedere 2dr sedan and lowered the car about 1 1/2" and made it look much better imo. Also added more camber to the front end alignment and that helped a bunch in handling. Bigger wheels, tires and removing 400 lbs from it didn't hurt either. Also thought about chopping the roof 1 1/2" but that ain't gonna happen. Even have an extra roof from a 4dr which is the same except for B post location but that's not a problem to move either.

I disagree they did have an option on 68s 2dht. I couldn't get the look of the taxicab vibe!:thumbsup:

View attachment 1176901
A 68 coupe gives you a taxicab vibe? Same roof line 68-70, HT or coupe plus they are a bit lighter. Gives me the 'I mean business' vibe. They ain't much lighter but every ounce counts. :D

I disagree they did have an option on 68s 2dht. I couldn't get the look of the taxicab vibe!:thumbsup:

View attachment 1176901

A 68 coupe gives you a taxicab vibe? Same roof line 68-70, HT or coupe plus they are a bit lighter. Gives me the 'I mean business' vibe. They ain't much lighter but every ounce counts. :D
But thats basically what they were! The original 68 runner was taxicab/police heavy duty parts, and a bottom line interior, put in a two door coupe, instead of a four door belvedere. Add some decals, good marrketing and voila, 80,000 sales where 15,000 is expected.
They just listened to the buyers who wanted a hardtop but couldnt/wouldnt step up to a GTX/RT.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Only the post car A bodies and early post car B bodies had the tall roof that looked like they were made for coneheads. 68 69 b bodies roofs are the same height as the non post cars

Auto Transport Service
Back