• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post up facts and things that hardly anyone knows...... (for entertainment purposes only. NO need to fact check)

Also known as “Old Rufe,” Cicero Rufus Perry was born in Alabama in 1822. At the age of 11, he moved with his family to Texas, where he would later go on to become a famed Texas Ranger. As history goes, Perry played a role in the siege of Bexar. Following that, he served for three months in 1836 under Captain William W. Hill as a volunteer soldier, which led him to be involved in a battle at Yegua Creek with a Native American tribe. Over the span of his career as both a soldier and a Texas Ranger (a multitude of decades), Perry was known to have received 20 wounds, some quite serious, from arrows to gunshots, and he survived them all.

Perry’s career led him to the direction of John H. Moore, and in early 1839, he is noted as having suffered his first wound. Two years later, while in the service of Thomas Green and Samuel Highsmith, he also performed scouting for Mark B. Lewis and Edward Burleson. He had a part in the Somervell Expedition and by 1844, had joined the famous John Coffee Hays’ Texas Ranger company. As a part of this division, he was involved in a number of skirmishes with Native Americans, most notably the Battle of Walker’s Creek.

In August of that year, during a fight on the Nueces River with a group of Comanches, Perry received three severe wounds. Perry and his counterpart, Christopher Acklin, were left for dead. Although his wounds were severe, he walked from Uvalde all the way to San Antonio, 120 miles. He was left unarmed and made the entire trek without water or food.

By 1873, Perry was still actively involved as a Texas Ranger, and he took part in the Battle of Deer Creek, where he was recognized as coming to the aid of a group under the direction of Dan W. Roberts. The year following, Perry was promoted to the role of captain in the Frontier Battalion, for Company D. Here, Roberts then served as Perry’s first lieutenant, and then as his successor.

Perry passed away in 1898 in Johnson City, in the Texas Hill Country. He was well-liked by his counterparts, of which John Holland Jenkins was one. When asked about Perry, he described him as “a tall, muscular, perfect specimen of the strong and brave in young manhood,” noting his black hair and “dark eyes, bright with the fires of intelligence and enthusiasm.” Over the course of his career as both a volunteer soldier and with the Texas Rangers, he sustained 20 wounds by lance, arrow, and bullet. All of them he survived. All of them went down in history as part of Perry’s legacy in the Lone Star State as a Texas Ranger.

IMG_7456.jpeg

How many more ‘moments’ have humble, amazing people executed that we are not aware of?

Not sure if this counts as 'at the controls'; Buzz is certainly sitting in front of the Gemini control panel... with pipe in mouth, and slide rule floating nearby.

When the rendezvous computer on Gemini XII failed, Buzz calculated the rendezvous by hand, ultimately using less fuel than any other mission.

IMG_8143.jpeg

Chickens are the most populous bird in history. Not even starlings or the extinct passenger pigeon come close.

Abe Lincoln was a licensed bartender before becoming president.

To follow up with deltav’s Texas history.

The term “maverick” meaning to wonder freely came from Samuel Augustus Maverick. He was originally from Tennessee but came to Texas, and was a part of the Texas revolution. He signed the Texas Declaration of Independence, and was the last one sent out of the Alamo to rally more troops. The news of all of his friends dying at the Alamo hurt him. After Texas Independence he was a rancher, he was the only one who didn’t brand his cattle in Texas, so the slang term came up. He also kept his rocking chair pointed in the direction of the Alamo and spend evenings rocking on the porch looking off in the distance.

I’m not good at math, he’s my however many greats it would be great grandfather

Angle Inlet, Minnesota is 60 miles north of the Canadian border, yet it is part of the United States.

THIS IS CONRAD HEYER ... he is the earliest born person in the U.S. to ever be photographed. He was born in 1749, but sat for this pic in 1852 at the age of 103. While you’ve probably never seen this pic, it’s a good bet you’ve seen the famous painting that includes him. At age 27 in 1776, Conrad was a Revolutionary soldier who was in the boat with General George Washington when he crossed the Delaware River.
#TheMoreUKnow

IMG_8201.jpeg

It only takes 50 milliamps (.05 amps) of electrical current to kill a human being.
As they say, it ain't the volts but the amps that gitcha...be careful!

It's a little-known fact that the sun tan actually became popular during what's known as The Bronze Age.

The heart of a blue whale, the world's largest animal, weighs 400 lbs. You can hear it's heartbeat over 2 miles away.

Canada was the first team in history to be charged with spying (spelt 'cheating') on another team at the Paris Olympic Games in 2024.

Who would have thought that their women's football team could gain anything from the much lower ranked New Zealand team. :rolleyes:
I guess winning has no upper limit in cost.
Did you know the opening ceremony, on that feces' filled river
teams coming in on boats, instead of into a stadium like most all normal Olympics
it "was total **** show/horrible almost completely unwatchable" in Paris,
(& all in French :icon_fU: ) with lady Gaga doing a lousy performance 'in French'
it's the worst I've ever seen anyway...

The Beatles' song 'A Day in the Life’ has a frequency only dogs can hear. It's at the end of the song.

The Beatles' song 'A Day in the Life’ has a frequency only dogs can hear. It's at the end of the song.
does Paul die if you play it backwards ?
or is it Satanic played backwards, like a few albums of that era were claimed to be ?

Circa mid/late-1980's, DeltaV played Boris Spassky in a simultaneous chess match in Dallas, Texas. Boris handily won of course, but autographed the board (with his scribbled initials) for me to take as a keepsake.

Boris has a quick wit and is a funny guy.

Speaking of the Olympics, Oklahoma City will host two events of the Los Angeles 2028 Olympics: softball and canoe slalom.

It only takes 50 milliamps (.05 amps) of electrical current to kill a human being.
As they say, it ain't the volts but the amps that gitcha...be careful!
Which is why most safety devices are designed to trip at 0.03 Amps - or 30 milliamps. :thumbsup:

The rating drops to 0.01 Amps or 10 milliamps for areas in surgical rooms - dentists, doctors, hospitals etc....and schools here in New Zealand.

The first man to achieve powered flight was a New Zealander.......not the Wright brothers as more commonly thought or believed.

Richard Pearse - Wikipedia

Richard William Pearse (3 December 1877 – 29 July 1953) was a New Zealand farmer and inventor who performed pioneering aviation experiments. Witnesses interviewed many years afterward describe observing Pearse flying and landing a powered heavier-than-air machine on 31 March 1903, nine months before the Wright brothers flew.  Ambiguous statements made by Pearse himself make it difficult to date the aviation experiments with certainty. In a newspaper interview in 1909, with respect to inventing a flying machine, he said "I did not attempt anything practical with the idea until 1904".

Biographer Gordon Ogilvie credits Pearse with "several far-sighted concepts: a monoplane configuration, wing flaps and rear elevator, tricycle undercarriage with steerable nosewheel, and a propeller with variable-pitch blades."

Pearse largely ended his early flying experiments about 1911 but pioneered on in novel aircraft and aero-engine invention from 1933 with the development of his "private plane for the million", a foldable single-engined tiltrotor convertiplane.

1722032507989.png

My grandfather told me all about him when I was a youngster, and I have never forgotten Richard Pearce. History books will never be changed as they are governed by "The Golden Rule" - he who has the gold, makes the rules - or in this case writes the history books.

I see now there are claims by Germans and Brazilians to try and claim they were first....all of them controversial.

Auto Transport Service
Back