• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Tour; where do I start and any other advice

Billccm

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:17 PM
Reaction score
I'm not getting any younger and one of my bucket list items is to attend the Power Tour. My original plan was to purchase a newer LX (Charger or Challenger and maybe even lightly used hellcat) and drive from Tucson to the Power Tour with a friend sharing the straight through driving. Well that friend is out and I retired and funding for a new car has dried up. I still want to go to Power Tour and decided I should just go in 2025 driving my trusty 2012 Mustang Convertible and go alone.

So.....where do I start? I assume I need to book hotels months in advance. Any advice for someone in my position?

If any Arizona members are going let me know if I can caravan along and even share some hotel expenses, etc.

Thanks for any advice!

I book the hotel for Sunday and Monday nights ahead of time. The rest of the week I fly by the seat of my pants. Lining up hotels as I go and for not usual hotels close to venue. First travel day is Tuesday and will follow route until sitting in traffic gets boring. I try to find things to see along the route. Kind of jump in and out of the route. Depending on what you want to do at different venues determines how early I feel I need to get there. My son and I wanted to make passes at Indy so we got there pretty early, bypassing route on interstate. I know some people like to have all their stops planned, I'm just not one of those people. If you did want to stay at hotels with the rest of the crowd I'm sure that would need booked earlier than later. It is a lot of fun and I'm hooked, will be doing it again this next year.
It should start in Indy, but last year they changed the starting point from the year before ending at Bristol TN.

We did 2023 and 2024. First, join a few FB groups that are for PT. They’ll give you the heads up on when the cities are released and tickets can be purchased. This is typically the 2nd week of January, ish. Platinum, Gold sold out in a couple days. Long haul was gone in a couple weeks. If you miss out in January then you’ll be scrambling. For hotels, I just look at the cities and venues and then find the nearest Hilton branded hotel nearby. I travel for work so that part is simple for me. Hotels don’t know about PT coming through 6 months ahead so rates are low. Don’t be shocked if you use budget hotels and they cancel you the week before and suddenly want $500/night. Your well known brands don’t seem to do that. No drama here the last two years.

Once you get settled in January, you wait and prep. If you’re going late model just make sure you have tire plugs, spare, snacks, etc. From there it’s enjoy the trip, slow down and have an adventure. Once you go to the first venue the next 4 days are the same but at a different race track. You can drag race, auto cross and they’ll usually have one track you can drive on, parade laps. Our mistake the first year was not slowing down. We thought we had to get up, get moving at 0700 getting to the next place by noon. This year I did my own little bourbon tour through KY. Plenty of others did the same. The route is cool and usually a nice drive. Just don’t be in a hurry for any of it.

We’ll be sitting 2025 out most likely. Have fun! It’s worth going at least once.

Modern car, no issue. Old car, must have strong cooling system, you will be sitting in the heat.

I did the 2023 Power Tour (Long Hauler) and I had a great time.
Good advice in the posts above. Main thing is to watch when the tour and tickets become available so you can buy what you need.
When you do the tour, just get in a mind set to have fun. Take your time and enjoy it.
Also, there is a tradition that the cars throw hot wheels cars to the kids who cheer people on the route, so buy some hot wheels cars to give away.

A friend of mine and I are doing the tour west version. Unless he ends up in the repair shop. We'll be in the wagon.

IMG_4984.jpeg

The power tour is something I've given some thoughts to do.
Problem for me is my car is NOT long drive between fuel stops friendly. Its an understatement to say,,,,It likes gas stations. If Im lucky I can get maybe 125-150 miles between stops I think.
But then again, How many on the tour are driving real deal hemi cars ?

Im thinking this year is out, But next year for the western swing I may be interested

I've been on the stretch of road between Indio and Vidal Junction before. For sure, no fuel. Havasu to Phoenix is a little light for the first part. Therefore, I'm bringing two 5gal cans with me. Will fill them in Indio. I can get 3-3.5hrs out of a tank so from here south is no problem. Same from SD to Indio.

The power tour is something I've given some thoughts to do.
Problem for me is my car is NOT long drive between fuel stops friendly. Its an understatement to say,,,,It likes gas stations. If Im lucky I can get maybe 125-150 miles between stops I think.
But then again, How many on the tour are driving real deal hemi cars ?

Im thinking this year is out, But next year for the western swing I may be interested
When I did the Power Tour in 2023 it was in an area of the country where there were plenty. Worst though was spending over an hour waiting to park at one of the venues. Trust me, if your cooling system has any weak points this was the time they would show up. There were lots of cars overheating.

A Western Power Tour was a great idea however doing 99.9% driving on a freeway is boring. Far better routes than taking I-15 to I-10.

When I did the Power Tour in 2023 it was in an area of the country where there were plenty. Worst though was spending over an hour waiting to park at one of the venues. Trust me, if your cooling system has any weak points this was the time they would show up. There were lots of cars overheating.
My cars cooling system is solid. I'm in southern AZ and have no overheating issues and I drive my car year round. My only real concern would be distance between fuel stops .
Plus , low 70s MPH would be my max to keep it in the cars best miles per gallon range. Once I get over that I start to dip and stay in single digits for mpg's
So for me a couple filled fuel cans in the trunk for reserve would be mandatory

I plan on running between 55 and 60. Keep the revs down plus fuel consumption. I'm not in a hurry other than getting away from the area on the first leg. But it will be gridlock dictated for that. SD on will be a breeze.

I did the 1st one in 95 ?
from Calif. on a whim...

It wasn't very well organized "yet", it was just starting, a few really nice cars
I was driving a 68 RR my old silver/black car with a
720hp N/A 11:1 almost zero deck 479cid/alum head full roller motor
w/350 shot of Top Gun N2O, run 9.77 @135 N/A & 8.58 @ 156 on N2O
new, Aeroquip S/S 180gph pump/bypass fuel system, all new Russel hoses
8an feed & 6an return to keep fuel cool, with a 1050cfm Quickfuel, tuned well
had a spare 950cfm QF in the trailer, just in case
(had the trick 6bbl set up in the trailer, I normally ran on the street too)
but would have had to mess with the tune, never put it on...
A remake of the old TF727A J converter/3,800 stall, would flash to like 4200,
on new M/T 315/60/15 drag radials, new BFG front tires 245/60/15s, new brakes, pad etc.
loaded for bear, get like 10-12 mpg with 3.90:1 gears, if I stayed off/out of it...

I normally ran 4.30:1 or 4.10:1 min., had them in the trailer,
if needed them at the track...
But only 10-12mpg if not going any faster than 60-ish with the 3.90:1
(3,500rpm easily they were all leaving me behind, at that speed)
I averaged like 8 mpg in the RR, running 62-65
& about 15mpg in the diesel pusher 5.9 Cummis MH, towing the trailer

The RR I had just did a new electric 35gph water pump,
in a new alum Edelbrock wp housing
& new 4 core big tube alum rad. & custom shroud with 2) electric fans
1) 16" 3500cfm puller & a aux. just in case 13" pusher 2,900cfm,
it was only a 22" x 3" rad. with a 19psi cap (no overheating issues)
all new upper & lower stainless out lined A/N rad. hoses,
a bunch of extra A/N fitting
brought a bunch of extra tuning parts just in case,
had 2) 2.5 gal jugs of fuel in the trunk, small toolbox, jack & jack stands...

a barrel of race gas in the trailer behind the MH

I 1st Drove down to SoCal from NorCal East Bay area
(1,600 miles to Norman Oklahoma, 1 way if not going to LA/Long Beach 1st)
Concord Ca./Turtle Creek Suburbs
some 450+ miles 8+ hrs drive just to meet up with about 60 cars (?)
from near "the org. mile marker #1 for route 66" (new one is in Needles Ca.)
at the Long Beach Pier at some parking lot nearby, parts store
the tour was to go to all the way to Chicago doing Route 66 as much as possible...
I made it to like Oklahoma somewhere,
had to turn around an emergency at a couple dealerships I had contracts with
my dad was following me in the motorhome & my trailer with tools
& jacks, fuel (ERC 110 race gas) jugs etc.
only real problems I had was a couple batches of bad gas, water in the gas
while out off the beaten path, on some of the old route...
I didn't stay in hotels, I stayed in my MH, usually at RV parks,
met the people/tour at a store of shop that sponsored it somewhere
the next mornings...
Never really got hot ever, a lot of waiting in line BS, at venders sponsors
& at a couple tracks...

I spent well over $10,000 (about 3,600+ miles on the MH, about 2k on RR)
my 1st real vacation, not racing or rodeo in a long time
(& I only went about 1/2+ way the 1st 5 days/8 day total including
hauling *** back, with the car in the trailer, behind the MH, to make up time
)
That was for me, my dad, Lisa, my dog Duke, lots of killer BBQs,
ate like kings, some trinkets & swag, tee-shirts/hats, not much back then
most was on food at Wally World/Super Centers &/or cooking in the MH,
food & drinks
or diesel for the MH & gas along the way for the RR,
(lots of booze when we were done for the day)
also a few other people stayed in the RV parks also,
some had support vehicle 'some just their cars'...

Would I do it again, maybe ?
Not in a racecar with license plates, not again...
And only if it was like it is now & well organized
& only out west again...
I'm certainly not driving to the east coast/or the Midwest
to go on a damn cruise, with mostly a bunch of modern cars now,
spend thousands of dollars just to get there 1st, not including the route
during the Tour...

Wall of text -bob the builder-.jpg

Last edited:
My buddy did the long hauler and invested in a tkx. I know he went all of places but he said with no AC the heat about did him in. He also said the next time he’ll definitely have AC.

Yeah F that. Need to organize the Poorer Tour for us low rollers.
When Car Craft[ rip] was around, Jeff Smith put on the "Anti Tour". Low budget deal for everyday people and rides. Went from LA area cruising to various spots then ended at the Morro Bay car show. Wish I could have partaken in that.

Auto Transport Service
Back