• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pre load

steve maluk

Local time
9:56 PM
Reaction score
ok fans
i can read all day long on preload on hyd cam adjustable rockers
1/4 turn down after zero lash
1/2 turn down
up to 1 1/2 turn
340 fresh build only change single adjustable rockers
any guidance on after zero lash how far down on adjuster
thanks
sjm

Most adjusters have 28 threads per inch so one turn is a preload of about .036".

Some think the retaining ring style dictates the preload, and suggest adjusting lifters with Truarc-type retaining rings 1/4 to 1/2-turn down from zero lash; adjust paperclip retaining-ring lifters 1/2 to 3/4-turn down from zero lash.

I've always done max of like 1/2 turn, max
after I get resistance while spinning the pushrod
at 'real zero lash', while the cam/lifter is riding on the base circle
& then after tightening the allen set screw/or the lock down,
I use a wrench, like 9/16" (or 5/8" ?) box wrench on it, on the adjuster nut
against the lock/allen so it stays tight
so it's like almost 5/8's (to 3/4's) of a turn all done, max

done it on Gm, MoPar & Ford all the same, never any issues ever

Most hyd FT lifters have a total of 0.150" or more internal movement. You can set the 'pre-load' [ PL ] anywhere within that range. The idea of just using a minimum of PL is that if the lifter pumps up, the power loss will be minimal because the valve is only held off it's seat a small amount. The problem is that many lifters have paper-clip type circlip that can get punched out during over revving.....with bits going everywhere inside the engine.

Much better to use more pre-load...& make sure your valve springs are strong enough to control the valve train. Lifter pump up usually occurs with the intake valves first; because they are heavier & not opening under pressure like the exh. You hear this as noise coming through the carb or throttle body....& then you back off the throttle. So you get a warning.

Bw careful not to over tighten the lock nuts. I've had a couple stretch the threads (went too tight I guess) and break off a few days later.

Auto Transport Service
Back