• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulley clearance

o1gnah

Local time
12:47 PM
Reaction score
I reassembling my 318 and am a bit concerned about the clearance from my crankshaft pulley and fan pulley. I purchased a w/ac water pump (didn’t realize it was w/ac when purchased)”the one that seems to be to close” no rubbing but less than 1/8”. I attached the old one (not reusable) and had much better clearance. My question is what should the clearance be and if this is an issue? Thanks
2 pics of each

Probably just need to get a new pump w/out ac. oe replacement

IMG_7367.png

IMG_7364.png

IMG_7363.png

IMG_7361.png

Changing the water pump can not do what you are saying, it should be in the exact same position. Doesn't matter if it's a/c or not, same position.

Hmmm? Well there is in fact a noticeable gap between the new acdelco and the old rusted pump

A/c cars have different pulleys and the belts run in different positions. I didn’t think there’d be a difference in the pump itself though

The pulleys should have that built in difference. The number of fins on the impeller is the difference. I probably wouldn't use an auto store pump anyway. I have Flowkooler pumps, they could all come from the same mfr, I don't know. This is a cast iron pump from Flowkooler on my '69.

20220327_144205.jpg

Is the center cog in this photo belt usable or is it just a gap?

IMG_7365.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back