• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Putting '73 BBody Overflow Bottle on a '72?

Dibbons

Local time
8:28 PM
Reaction score
I tried this before and failed (I was trying to bolt it directly to the radiator support). According to some recent photos I found, it is attached to something else, but I can't determine exactly how and where. And with a shroud, power steering, and that battery tray looks near impossible. Currently I have some kind of 22" aftermarket radiator. Anyone done this before that can help a guy out? First two photos are mine, next three I found on an internet search.

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

overflow 1.png

overflow 2.png

Screen Shot 2024-09-16 at 11.13.28 AM.png

That’s as far I know the E body overflow bottle, destined to be attached to the radiator core support. Probably sharing same radiator bolts on batt side. Dunno how it fits the extra bracket. Both E and B bodies are quite similar and on similar position but hold and shaped different.

72 B bodies uses a top and bottom bracket to hold the reservoir. It attaches to the top beam of the radiator core support and wraps over the top tank of the radiator.

I have pics pf the complete correct 72 assembly on my PC, but I’m posting right now from my tablet LOL. will try to search pic on the web and post.

73 and lates won’t fit correctly since they sit over the passenger side frame rail (along some other provisions around radiator core support with plastic fasteners, no brackets used) and 73 and lates frame rails are higher than previous years.

Last edited:
Here is a pic from my 73. Original bottle which is located on passenger side like Nacho stated. Bolts right next to the charcoal canister.

8 .JPG

I run that bottle and bracket on some of my builds, no issues with fitment with 26” rads and shrouds. The E-body required some tweaking to lower it a bit, the cap was contacting the hood when closed. Bracket goes under the heads of the driver’s side radiator bracket bolts, small bracket bolts the tank bracket to the battery tray.

The correct ’72 recovery tank and brackets are hard to come by in my experience.

IMG_0461.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back