• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Racing in the heat

Tintoy35

Local time
6:30 PM
Reaction score
Who's racing in this heat. I'm very grateful to have been out yesterday and once before but I think this is the hottest i have ever been out. I need to work on my lights and need the seat time so I go have fun.

Who's racing in this heat. I'm very grateful to have been out yesterday and once before but I think this is the hottest i have ever been out. I need to work on my lights and need the seat time so I go have fun.
I wish I was...

I hate racing when its real hot. I think the older I have gotten the more the heat bothers me. In fact I never race in July and August here in Maryland where I live as its just to hot and humid for me then. And I like to go racing to have fun but I just can't enjoy myself when I am sweating so bad that I am miserable. Plus I wear glasses and when real hot my glasses start to fog up in the car with all the windows up. But I don't race a lot anymore anyway as I just like to go when I can enjoy it and have fun and not be sweating so bad I can't stand it. I guess you guys have to be really devoted to like to race in the real hot days ? Ron

I used to put a bag of ice in my helmet, then wait till the last minute to put it on. Helped keep the sweat out of my eyes!

I do, just not with my charger since I'm still building it. My girlfriend got done racing yesterday in an autocross event in her Ford Fiesta (non ST). It was 107* at the peak temp outside!

Yes - age get's to a lot of oldsters as does the extreme cold - ask me how I know...lol

Heat doesnt bother me to bad. I'll keep a cold rag to wipe my face before the helmet goes on. Always have a cold water in the car. I wear full 3.2A 5 suit and gloves. Old? Is 65 old?
Doug

Heat bothers me a lot more these days @ 69 but maybe if I quit drinking beer, that might help some :D I'm not in as good of shape as I was 10 years ago either but still try to exercise. Also thinking that I'll be 110 by the time I finish my car if I keep going about it like I am so just might slap it together with no paint or much of an interior.....:(

I hate racing when its real hot. I think the older I have gotten the more the heat bothers me. In fact I never race in July and August here in Maryland where I live as its just to hot and humid for me then. And I like to go racing to have fun but I just can't enjoy myself when I am sweating so bad that I am miserable. Plus I wear glasses and when real hot my glasses start to fog up in the car with all the windows up. But I don't race a lot anymore anyway as I just like to go when I can enjoy it and have fun and not be sweating so bad I can't stand it. I guess you guys have to be really devoted to like to race in the real hot days ? Ron
Hey 383 man I don't think their is much difference in temperatures between your side or my side of the mountain. Decided to try 6.50 racing this year so I'm learning how to slow the car down and pro tree. I have always been bad at the lights. I will be 67 this year so the heat bothers me also but I want to learn this before I get old. (Time is running out)

Heat doesnt bother me to bad. I'll keep a cold rag to wipe my face before the helmet goes on. Always have a cold water in the car. I wear full 3.2A 5 suit and gloves. Old? Is 65 old?
Doug
Lol - I could answer this since I'm 65. Luckily I'm still pretty capable despite my old bad habits, three surgeries from injuries, and do some things my wife tells me I shouldn't do anymore. Just never could sit around much, it drives me friggin crazy if I'm not doing something productive. My dad was the same way, suppose I inherited that trait. Just retired 7/1...well say around 90% right now having one client asking me to hang on a few more months. Got dozens of fix-it projects and it's nice to start a project and not be concerned that I have to stop because of 'work'. Different feeling that takes getting used to though.

I don't race a car these days, the heat bothers me like Ron at my age 66, Going back to when I did race 1980>1991 I can only remember ONE time in that 11yrs when it was that hot that the sweat was pouring out of my arms in the car, we got it lucky here for heat, flip side is it rains most weekends:(

it's nice to start a project and not be concerned that I have to stop because of 'work'.
Yeah, that's a big plus.
My schedule generally allows me enough flexibility to get stuff done. Unfortunately, now that I OCCASIONALLY have a decent amount of discretionary money to spend on car stuff, I have pain issues that bending over a hood exacerbate. As much as I enjoy it, and I still do stuff that either no one else can do or I insist on doing myself, it's not as much as I would like to do.
Back to the OP.
It's REALLY HOT and HUMID where I race, but with all of the upgrades going in and on my Roadrunner right now, I have a number of parts and systems that HAVE to be dialed in, and I am going to HAVE to be the one to do it.
Fortunately I'm not going to get my car back until September, so at least I'll have some VERY NICE weather to do the majority of the work in (and trips to the track)...
Next year I'm sure I'll run the 1320 through the summer, but that's almost always at NIGHT, so not as bad but still pretty uncomfortable, but spring and fall is when I hope to get a lot of trips down the 1320.
If I have my way, and I'm blessed enough to make it happen, by next September I'll be getting my completed BME aluminum stroker motor and any remaining upgrades installed, and by the time Cruisin the Coast is on in the first part of October, I'll be completing the break in miles and then leaning heavily on the new engine and parts.

Doug
yes i use a cool towel and carry water . Mandatory full suit etc for me too ..
the old story , when its race time you are there .

Tex

I loved racing motorcycles, but standing in the staging lanes with black leathers on was not cool. Pun intended!
Glad I put AC in the X, that way I can turn on the AC on the return road!

I'd like to be racing anywhere . (well, maybe not vegas, if it's as hot as it is here!). My local socal tracks had events scheduled I think, but california is shut down again! Looks like another few months before racing again.

Let's see, what did I do with that petition to remove Ravin Newscum again?

I will say I am only 64 but I have health problems with my joints and my knees and back. I am on disability also and do take pain meds Dailey so that may also be another reason the heat really bothers me. Ron

Stupid hot and humid during the middle 3 hours of the day yesterday, but surprisingly not bad after 6:30 last night. Nice breeze!
My buddy hit a new ET+MPH personal best. Broke the 140 wall. 9.6 @ 141.
I spotted a mid 60s Galaxy I want to destroy when I get my stroker motor. He's running around 12.3s...
I actually thought "if only I'd spray a 100-150 shot on my current 440, I could get 'em" lol. I'd be afraid to hurt it as it's the same mill as has been in my car since I bought it, and while I haven't had any problems with it, and it demands that I let it spin up to 6,200, although I shift around 5,800-6k, I plan on fogging it and putting it aside once the BME 541 goes in.
Anyway, fun night w/friends, surprisingly "comfortable" relatively speaking. My other long time friend has a 70 Nova SS big block, and although his fuel pressure was good, he kept running out of gas around the 1/8th.
I think it's important for us to go when someone in our group goes. It encourages us to get out and go run our cars!

Heat doesn’t bother me a lick. It certainly offers its challenges, and it can be uncomfortable in the car. But I love racing, and I’m not gonna let a beautiful day kill my buzz. I keep an ice box with a couple of towels for keeping around my neck. I pour icy water into helmet before heading to the lanes, and always keep a couple of waters with me.

in the past the cars cooling system was belt driven. I never had overheating issues, but the inconsistency of not being able to control it added guesswork when making my dial call. This year the car has electric cooling accessories, so I don’t anticipate that being an issue.

bring on the summer heat.... let’s go racing!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back