• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rattle Can or brush on engine paint?

My440RT

Local time
2:19 PM
Reaction score
Pulling my '68 440 and wanting to clean it up and paint the engine with as close to the original turquoise as possible. What have people found for the best manufacturer of turquoise color paint? I am seeing threads regarding spray on (rattle can) versus brush on paints. What have people found works best and any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

RT 440 engine.jpg

Please enlighten me. You're going to pull, disassemble, clean, prep, paint, reassemble, reinstall THAT engine ? Looks pretty good to me. Anyway... I spray.

more importantly........ a thin coat of epoxy primer on a clean engine will make almost any paint work

I tried to brush on the por15 engine paint, not a fan. I’d spray some VHT turquoise or another brand. I’m going to try what Eldubb recommends next time for myself and spray some epoxy first.

I've had great results with POR-15 or Bill Hirsch brush on engine paints.

You can paint an entire engine with one pint...they both cover great and have a nice shine.

That said my $100 junker 318 got a $7 spray can shot of Omaha orange.

Most of the brush paint can be reduced and sprayed.
I don't know who sells the correct color for that?

Don't over think it. Clean it up, wipe it all down with mineral spirits or something, and spray it with a couple of cans of whatever brand you decide on. I used the one from NAPA. As long as it is all the same color, it doesn't matter what "closest shade" is. Ma Mopar probably had several different shades, depending what was in the barrel.

Casual project, rattle can.

Bucket list item/special project, epoxy primer, automotive 2k single stage, automotive 2k clear on top, looks great, lasts, costs alot.

In between/feeling like a science project:
Rattle can, with a couple coats of 2k automotive clear on top for shine and depth. I was shocked how great this looked when I tried it
and it's alot less expensive.

As said above, a real 2k automotive epoxy primer is an excellent way to start with any paint as it helps the adhesion and lifespan
quite a bit.

Any suggestions on how to prep aluminum parts heads, water pump housing, maybe intake I want to paint the regular engine color? Thx

Any value in clear coating with a good body clear coat? Had to do some carb adjusting and spilled gas a couple of times on the intake. Engine paint bubbled up there. So don't today's top coats have unleaded gas peeling resistance in them.

I use etching primer and rattle-cans. I've also POR-15'd an engine black, and it looks like glass. Zero issues with it, so far.

Last edited:
VHT
20230905_230034.jpg
Sprayed 5 years ago. Same with headers

Restoration Shop Products:
1) KW901 Grease & Wax remover
2) Brushed on epoxy primer
3) Brushed on Single Stage Acrylic Urethane & Hardener
This was done with the engine in the car. The pan and valve covers were sprayed, as they were separate at the time.
Thanks, Doug (DKW) for the suggestion. Worked great, spilled gas doesn't bother it and it flows so well I defy you to find a brush mark anywhere...

IMG_1020.JPG

IMG_1023.JPG

IMG_1030.JPG

IMG_1034.JPG

IMG_1041.JPG

Any suggestions on how to prep aluminum parts heads, water pump housing, maybe intake I want to paint the regular engine color? Thx
I used self-etching primer on aluminum heads and manifold. Then the color.

Uncle Tony has brushed at least ONE engine in one of his videos.

View attachment 1706414

I sprayed this one from a Harbor Freight gun...

View attachment 1706415

View attachment 1706416

View attachment 1706417
He also heated it with a Burnsamatic torch to get rid of any leftover contamination, not mention lighting his cigarettes as well. I did it before I sprayed mine, and noticed that there might be something to it.
I think using a brush could eliminate the trouble of masking as well.

I have Bill Herschel on mine,bought a quart,primer on clean block,sprayed it with a gun. Don’t buy a quart unless your painting several!

Auto Transport Service
Back