• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rattle Can or brush on engine paint?

My rebuilt 383 came back to me painted with what was supposed to be Chrysler Hemi Orange, and I suppose it was close to the original shade; but I wasn't happy with the quality of the job, with places missed and some spots flaking off. I repainted, after degreasing, with Dupli-Color Gray Engine Enamel Primer With Ceramic, P/N DE1612 and Dupli-Color Chrysler Hemi Orange, P/N DE1652 -- both in spray cans. I was pleased with the result.

Engine - LH2.jpg

If you want to get fancy go buy a quart of PPG Delfleet. They have color chips by the thousands. It also needs hardener and activator. It is single stage, easy to use and gets very hard.

I have found KBS header paint and primer to be the best I've ever used in almost 50 years

For me, if the engine is in the car, brush to avoid over spray.

If engine is out of the car, spay.

Bill Hirsh all the way on the correct color.

20210123_153843.jpg
20201227_153102.jpg

Last edited:
1K paint and 2K paint differ in several ways, including the number of components, how they dry, and their intended uses.

2K paints require a catalyst hardener to dry fully making them considerably tougher than 1K paints.

Rattle can and most "air dry" paints are 1K.

Auto Transport Service
Back