• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear brake line bracket bolt

JR_Charger

Local time
9:33 PM
Reaction score
What size is this bolt at the top of the bracket, that holds it to the body? Mine's gone missing, hopefully I can find something at the hardware store to replace it.

brake_bracket_bolt2.JPG
brake_bracket_bolt.JPG

I picked up a 5/16 and a 3/8 body bolt - the 3/8's pushes right through the hole. Something's not right here.

Hmm, I "just" installed this bracket a couple days ago on my own car so I know for a fact its a 5/16 bolt. And it bolts into a slamped hole, not a speed nut or whatever they're called. My guess is the hole is stripped - probably why the bolt is missing !!

So is this a photo of your car/bracket ?? What's the bolt that's in there in the photo ??

So is this a photo of your car/bracket ?? What's the bolt that's in there in the photo ??

It's one I dug out of the misc bin, it doesn't fit. I was trying to figure out where the bracket is supposed to be, because it looked like it was going to interfere with the aftermarket sway bar.

There's another slot and bolt hole on the passenger side. Is that also a 5/16" hole on your car? I've never used that hole, so I assume it's not stripped or rounded out. It's bigger than 5/16"s on my car.

The bolt is missing because I lost it. It held the bracket on securely. I really wish I could find it again just to see what it is. I'm sure it will show up after I replace it. Like a few things lately, I bet I put it in a good place so I wouldn't lose it.

72 Dodge Charger.

The hole does look enlarged in this picture, but it may be the undercoating creating an illusion -

brakes_015_bracket_holes.JPG

You can't see the bolt here, but it was holding the bracket on well after I cleaned it up and reinstalled it. This is before I went nutty, pulled the rear suspension, and cleaned up the whole thing -

16_brake_bracket.JPG

Someone had put a regular bolt in the axle, in place of the vent bolt. That bolt is too large to go into the brake bracket bolt holes, but it's only a touch larger than a 3/8's body bolt.

Your missing the captive clip. Looks like this.

IMG_3872.JPG

5/16 - 18 is correct as Gkent said.

Your missing the captive clip. Looks like this.

View attachment 1716801

Thank you! No doubt I pulled it to refinish, and forgot it was ever there. Now I can see the outline of it in the "elongated hole" pic I posted earlier. Was there a clip on the other side too? I think I can see where one was, but I don't know what it would have been used for.

Looks like its still in the other hole ... take that one out and use it.

It could be the captive nut is just conpletely stripped . If you look where the arrow is pointing it looks like the edge of the clip where its rolled over. If you look at the other hole there seems to be a faint outline ... of an existing clip ??

brakes_015_bracket_holes.JPG

I found the bolt and bracket and got everything installed. Thanks for everyone's help!

brakes_016_captive_bolt_and_bracket_installed.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back