• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear tire clearance 3.75 BS

Ingemar Viklund

Local time
10:12 AM
Reaction score
Found a set of old Cragar SSTs in realy good condition but rear tires is killing the wheel lips. 8 or 8.5 15" wheels with 3.75 and 275tires. Anyone running the same combo but with 255s or 265 and got away with it?

Just my personal opinion... I hated street super tricks from day one. They are not super or trick, i could tell them from real super tricks from half a mile away, and every set I ever saw on a daily use car rusted. Sorry.
That said..... I have 15x8 ramcharger steelies on my 62 savoy, with 4" backspace. I wanted 285/70x15s, but they just would have been too close to the fender. I settled for 255s.
I have three pairs of 15x8 or 8 1/2 wheels with around 3 1/2 bs, and they don't fit anything I own. Too wide a wheel, too little bs. Any proper width tire will hit the fender, any tire that would clear the fender would be ridiculously small.

Anyway, for your SST's, I'd try 255s, your choice of aspect ratio. You have a rub you're trying to get rid of. Put on a tire that won't rub. The difference between a 255 and a 265 is only a half inch, or less. (245 could be an even better fit).

I have always liked the Super Trick wheels and bought a new set for a 67 Camaro back in the day. I have 275/60-15’s on 8 inch wheels on the rear of my ‘69 roadrunner with 3.75 inch back spacing but I had to trim the inner lip a bit to eliminate tire rub.

Auto Transport Service
Back