• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remember when we used to haul trailers with cars?

My 67 Satellite was ordered with the trailer/tow package and had a bumper hitch on it when I got it. It was bolted to the bumper behind the license plate and through the trunk floor in the spare tire well so pretty sure it wasn't a factory hitch. Install didn't look professional either. The mounting holes were torched, not drilled.

I wouldn't want to tow much, really anything, with that set up. Story was the original owner used it to tow a camper of some sort.

About a week ago, I met a Tesla towing an Airstream uphill on the highway. Brave or stupid?
Depends how far he had to go. That electric Ford lightning's range towing is supposed to be under a hundred miles
That would strand me in the middle of the california desert, about 50 miles from a charger.
What's that AAA phone number, again?

Last edited:
Always had trucks 1/2, 3/4 and 1 tons, usually at the same time. I never even thought about using a car.

this20thread20worthless20without20pics_zps9b8becf9.jpg

When it comes to towing....I have done my fair share over the years. Towed this hulking '49 Chrysler 9-passenger car about 250 miles one night after work. Friends in the back were drunk before I got half-way there to Napier. Next day we picked up a truck cab on another trailer, and I towed that also.

I also hold the New Zealand Land-Speed record for towing - set in 1988 in my '70 Road Runner 440/4-speed car - 140mph with a BBQ trailer on the back. Never mind that the trailer broke on the way home....trivial detail really. :) My wife (then gf) was with me that weekend - and the guys following in a '69 Mustang CJ428 and a '66 Chevy Impala SS 427 were getting smaller in the mirror when I pushed the loud pedal. They could not catch me....seriously....they were bummed about that. Absolutely true story.

img106.jpg
img110.jpg
img112.jpg

For those Eagle-eyed viewers out there...that blue Mk3 Zephyr in the background of the last photo is also mine - 4-cylinder car. :thumbsup:

How about this turd?
Slant six with a tow hitch?

73 DS 1.JPG

73 DS 2.JPG

73 DS 4.JPG

My '69 Charger and eventually the '70 GTX were both owned by the same guy before me. When his mate owned the GTX, the Charger was used to tow the trailer with the GTX onboard to various drag meets around the country - mostly Meremere and Thunderpark. The GTX was a bit hungry on gas in those days since it was running 4.56's ..... the gas needle moved faster back then. :)

68_RT_and_83_Nautique.jpg

That's a 440 4spd R/T. Being the tow vehicle for my ski boat was part of the car's unusual history.
Save the manuals!

Back in the 70s we towed a 19' boat with a70 Challenger, 318 auto, 3.23 gears.
I don't know how much it weighed, but when we put it on a 4k lb capacity trailer, it flattened the springs, so we got another trailer. Then, load it up with tents and other camping equipment and head off for a week or two.
That little Challenger huffed and puffed, but as long as you weren't in a hurry, you were okay. Stopping was the same way.
Towing duties later fell to a 360 Cordoba.

Auto Transport Service
Back