• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replace gearbox and my steering wheel is slightly off, does this get an alignment?

Myasylum

Local time
5:22 PM
Reaction score
Hello, I just replaced the gearbox and the wheel is slightly off, like by a tooth.

You think where the steering box connects to the steering wheel off a tooth? The pitman arm off (I don't think so, only 4 ways it goes on), or the steering wheel itself?

Or could an alignment fix this?

Thanks!

I think I would just reposition the wheel as long as the lock to lock turning radius isn't way off.

I thought the wheel only went on one way? There is a keyway groove or something?

Yes, there's a spline indicator on the shaft to the steering wheel. Easy way to correct this is to just reposition the steering wheel if it's just "slightly" off. Or, you could adjust the tie rods evenly. But I'd just position the steering wheel on the shaft centered, you don;t need to do another wheel alignment.

The proper fix is adjust tie rods (get an alignment). Mine was off about 10 degrees after the steering box was rebuilt.

So it's probably nothing i did incorrectly?
It's off this much...

20241004_070552.jpg

See how many threads you have showing on your tie rod ends, L vs R

This happens frequently and can be corrected a few ways.
Sometimes the steering wheel itself can be pulled, "clocked" and reinstalled. Other times the tie rod collars can be rotated an equal amount on both sides to get the wheel straight.

There are master splines on both ends of the column. So if all is stock you aren't moving the wheel or column anywhere.

There are master splines on both ends of the column. So if all is stock you aren't moving the wheel or column anywhere.
This is what I thought. I guess you could file them off. :eek:

Is it a Mopar steering wheel or aftermarket? Aftermarket wheels do not normally have a master spline, and can be moved by one tooth.

The sleeves will not need to be moved much more than a 1/2 turn to straighten that wheel shown in post #6. It only takes .030"-.060" of movement to offset the wheel. You need to turn the wheels in the direction that the wheel is off. In this case both wheels need to go to the right. Tighten the right side sleeve a 1/2 turn. Loosen the left side sleeve a 1/2 turn. If both sleeves are turned eactly the same amount the toe will not change. 1/2 turn should get you very close. If it's not perfect move both again 1/4 turn more or remove 1/4 turn from both.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back