• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reverse Lamp Switch Location?

Bats5

Local time
5:12 PM
Reaction score
Hello. Hoping someone can help. I have a 1969 Satellite with a column shift and auto transmission and my Reverse lights are not working. I was hoping to replace the reverse lamp switch, but cannot figure out where it is located. Car was a bit torn a part when i got it, and the repair manual and wiring diagrams are not detailed enough and I have not been successful searching the posts or on the internet. Hoping someone has a picture of the switch location for an auto transmission car.

thank you in advance.

3 prong switch. Centre pin is neutral start. 2 outside pins are reverse lights.

Copied and pasted this from another thread where I was wrong about a 68.. So this is correct for the 69.

Its the Neutral Safety switch on the Transmission. There is a 3 wire connector plugged onto it. Make sure the connector is on it and plugged in. Driver side of the transmission its the only wires going to it so its not confusing.

Here is the connector and its wiring.
connector_efef1edcbe709fc72df54b68a644b6a7e61c6f5d.jpg

Here is the location of the NSS

droppedimage_3-jpg.jpg

I though the 1969 transmission still had the single connection NSS, and the reverse light switch was on the console shifter?

Copied and pasted this from another thread where I was wrong about a 68.. So this is correct for the 69.

Its the Neutral Safety switch on the Transmission. There is a 3 wire connector plugged onto it. Make sure the connector is on it and plugged in. Driver side of the transmission its the only wires going to it so its not confusing.

Here is the connector and its wiring.
View attachment 1692849

Here is the location of the NSS

View attachment 1692850
Thanks, this is really useful information. I would not have figured it out

To test the reverse lights circuit, temporarily jumper pins #1 & 3 on the reverse light switch they should activate.
Also when pin #2 is grounded the neutral safety function is activated.
Pretty simple to test for...

Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:

To test the reverse lights circuit, temporarily jumper pins #1 & 3 on the reverse light switch they should activate.
Also when pin #2 is grounded the neutral safety function is activated.
Pretty simple to test for...

Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:
thank you i will try and test this tonight.

Auto Transport Service
Back