• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Richard Petty's "Special" Textured Roof - 1968 Daytona 500

Why a 100 MPH airplane assembled with domed head rivets goes faster than a flush riveted bird!!

Why a 100 MPH airplane assembled with domed head rivets goes faster than a flush riveted bird!!
So then you'd call the flush rivet bird a 99mph airplane???

If 2 planes are going 100mph, which one will get there first?

Is this a brain twister? :lol:

Which one goes faster, a 100-mph airplane with dome head rivets or a 100-mph airplane with flush head rivets?

Your comment did bring a serious question to my mind. How much effect does the radius on the head and the head height have on the airplane/aerodynamics? For example, what would the effect be if you riveted an airplane with round head rivets that have a head radius of .166" and a head height of .140" compared to truss head rivets with a head radius of .470" and a head height of .062"? Which is the better head style for an airplane?

Look at the curve in the drip rail molding above the door window. Windshield is lowered and raked back and the vent window frames are racked backwards. This was Pettys most cheated racecar. No matter what they tried they coildn't make the car competitive during the Aero wars. Petty took a Daytona Charger out for a few laps,and went to Plymouth demanding the let him race a Daytona Charger. Plymouth refused to allow him to drive a Dodge,so he left and went to Ford for the 69 season.

$(KGrHqJ,!qgFI,5)lfBRBSJ5W1hR1Q~~60_12[1].jpg

Which one goes faster, a 100-mph airplane with dome head rivets or a 100-mph airplane with flush head rivets?

Your comment did bring a serious question to my mind. How much effect does the radius on the head and the head height have on the airplane/aerodynamics? For example, what would the effect be if you riveted an airplane with round head rivets that have a head radius of .166" and a head height of .140" compared to truss head rivets with a head radius of .470" and a head height of .062"? Which is the better head style for an airplane?
LOL... all I know for absolute certain is that two identical airplanes, one assembled with dome head avex and the other guy that spent 100's of extra hours countersinking every hole and using flush rivets, both have the exact some engines and props and the domed rivet aircraft flies almost 10 MPH faster at the same power settings!

We are looking at a picture from 1968 but I can’t see a different rake on the windshield or vent wings. And the roof starts it’s downward radius on the door window, which is different than the hardtop.
F40DE081-E918-41E1-AFA3-2A5E9712A5CD.jpeg
F3C5A77D-5BB8-4043-B833-F984C5D1B377.jpeg
31952A1C-76CC-4BDC-8CEA-196738780C3C.jpeg
BE8356D1-F875-4BBB-A54A-A88C4A817110.jpeg

Here is another angle of the car. The windshield and vent wings are more visible here. The pivot on the wings looks stock to me. And yeah, the car sucked compared to the fastback Torinos. Every car made today is aerodynamic. And they all look like unimaginative eggs.
686B8979-262C-4248-9446-66E593EADC3C.jpeg

98B73560-8B01-4E4D-BB12-5F8EA8E30E27.jpeg
1B947558-820D-44A9-840C-041858FA9188.png

Last edited:
LOL... all I know for absolute certain is that two identical airplanes, one assembled with dome head avex and the other guy that spent 100's of extra hours countersinking every hole and using flush rivets, both have the exact some engines and props and the domed rivet aircraft flies almost 10 MPH faster at the same power settings!
Thank you Sir. The question just popped into my head, and I know you're a pretty sharp guy, you know how to build and repair airplanes, you know how to fly airplanes, and I believe you're an engineer. So, I figured you may know something like this.

Not being an engineer (choo choo!), I assume the same aero effect goes on with a golf ball
with all its' dimples, eh?

I loved that 68 car...

Missing Link (not ness. the rough black or white paint)
68 Roadrunner Advert. #1 Missing Link.jpg

this is my screen saver

68 Roadrunner Advert. #1a Missing Link.jpg

Here is another angle of the car. The windshield and vent wings are more visible here. The pivot on the wings looks stock to me. And yeah, the car sucked compared to the fastback Torinos. Every car made today is aerodynamic. And they all look like unimaginative eggs.View attachment 1570494

View attachment 1570495View attachment 1570510
This picture doesn't even have drip rail moldings. I think as the season went on they got more aggressive with lowering and raking the windshield. The picture I showed clearly shows an obvious curvature of the driprail molding over the middle of the doorwindow opening,which is clearly straight on the production model. The vent window frames are racked back as well making the vent windows not straight like the bottom picture in this post. It's also visible by the rake of the car that it has the 2x2 front framerail tweak done to the car to get the nose as close to the ground as possible. They used to cut the front framerails out and move them 2 inches back and rake them two inches back to front,until Nascar caught onto the modification. Cars like this car,and Smokey Yunicks 15/16ths Chevelle are why Nasxar uses templates today.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back