• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Richard Petty's "Special" Textured Roof - 1968 Daytona 500

Screenshots of the car as it leaves the pits.
9DD0E712-E506-42DF-B808-FB67E0EDC06E.png
A97D5041-69E5-4CCC-A35B-9842967C5FB0.png
E9D5B955-871E-48A1-8666-B2C0FEA7E880.png
A23374C4-7FD4-4DB0-929F-C127F38C6148.png

The highlight of the video for me is watching Richard jump out and beat on that roof himself. How many NASCAR drivers today would even know what to do with a hammer?

You can see the racked vent window in the third picture.

It’s a blurry screenshot of a film from 1968. We’ll just agree to disagree on the car being modified. Notice the difference in the 2nd. pic.

The highlight of the video for me is watching Richard jump out and beat on that roof himself. How many NASCAR drivers today would even know what to do with a hammer?
I think it really highlights the competitive nature of the old time racer (not just a driver).

The never quit determination to stay in the race he had no chance of winning at that point.

Whatever was the reason he did it. Guys like him, Foyt , Garlits. “ Gimme that hammer and get outa my way. “

Giants.

I think it really highlights the competitive nature of the old time racer (not just a driver).

The never quit determination to stay in the race he had no chance of winning at that point.

Whatever was the reason he did it. Guys like him, Foyt , Garlits. “ Gimme that hammer and get outa my way. “

Giants.
There was every reason to keep racing even if winning was out of the question. First of all, earning points for the total season. Even coming in 30th place still earned some points so drivers would keep going right to the end.

And he'd likely lose some fans if it looked like he was giving up, and more likely lose some sponsorship and factory backing if his car with their name on it wasn't still moving around the track.

And there's always the chance that the current leader in a race will blow the engine or crash and someone else will get a surprise win.

Last edited:
^^^^ The mouth on that guy! ^^^^

:lol:

btw - Love your avatar, Mario! :thumbsup:

It looks stock to me. I have had a ‘68 Plymouth since 1988. Petty’s roof and the vent wing looks like my car. I think the vent wing is the same on the Charger. I’ve had my ‘70 since ‘85. I’m pretty sure the cowl and windshields are identical on both of them. Did you read is an article somewhere that said the Petty’s altered the roof and vent wings?
Some people can see subtle changes, some can't.
I've seen AI generated pictures of women and can immediately tell that it is a fake when others think it is real. I shake my head at how someone cannot see what is so obvious to me. It reminds me of math class where the nerd can't understand why I can't do trigonometry in my head when he can do it easily. Some stuff is obvious and easy for some to see and/or understand and impossible for others.
Pete/ChargerVert mentioned how the car below had a clear arch in the upper "molding" over the drivers door where a stock roof is straight.
Look again:
1702275856603.png

Now look at how the stock roof looks over the door window. Not only is it straight, (not curved or arched) It aims UP at a slight angle.

1702275969188.png

While slight, that could be an inch, maybe 1 1/2" lower at the leading edge, maybe gaining them a couple MPH at 180+.

Does the Charger have the same Upslope?

8100 B (2).jpg

It doesn't look like it although these 2 door coupe B bodies are all supposed to have the same side glass, right?

DB 15B - Copy.JPG

I suspect not only an arched roof line, but an acid dipped roof altogether. One has to remember that Petty flirted with Drag racing and understood the dynamics behind that sport, although tragically.
When Petty jumps upon his RR's hood to massage the roof with a small sledge, one can see it buckling like tin foil on one or two of the hits.
"If you ain't cheating' you ain't racing" as they say.

Some people can see subtle changes, some can't.
I've seen AI generated pictures of women and can immediately tell that it is a fake when others think it is real. I shake my head at how someone cannot see what is so obvious to me. It reminds me of math class where the nerd can't understand why I can't do trigonometry in my head when he can do it easily. Some stuff is obvious and easy for some to see and/or understand and impossible for others.
Pete/ChargerVert mentioned how the car below had a clear arch in the upper "molding" over the drivers door where a stock roof is straight.
Look again:
View attachment 1571724

Now look at how the stock roof looks over the door window. Not only is it straight, (not curved or arched) It aims UP at a slight angle.

View attachment 1571725

While slight, that could be an inch, maybe 1 1/2" lower at the leading edge, maybe gaining them a couple MPH at 180+.
The roof is clearly modified and the vent window frames are racked back as I stated.

Just a point about perspective.

The two blue B body cars are from totally different perspectives.

In post 52, the rear is closer to the camera, giving a perceived increased height difference over the front.

In post 51, it's the opposite.

Does that make a difference?

In the Petty car pic in post 51, I clearly see an artifact from the scanning process, about 1/3 of the way along the top of the window opening, front to back.

Does that make a difference?

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back