• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Road Runner Door Locks

nick2703

Local time
4:24 AM
Reaction score
So sorry if there is a thread for this already, I have searched though.
Can anyone please tell me the trick to remove the door barrel from the rod so I can replace the lock. I did a search on you tube and a guy on there just unclipped the rod on his Coronet and then took the barrel off but no such luck my end of things.

So sorry if there is a thread for this already, I have searched though.
Can anyone please tell me the trick to remove the door barrel from the rod so I can replace the lock. I did a search on you tube and a guy on there just unclipped the rod on his Coronet and then took the barrel off but no such luck my end of things.
Just did it last week. Disconnecting the rod from the lock cylinder is way more difficult on a 69‘ than on a 68 because of the linkage. I took out the lock, my girlfriend pushed it out and upwards as far as it went. (I recommend to get a 2nd person like I did) In the same time I pushed and wiggled the rod with a screwdriver. You really need to try it a couple of times it‘s very tight don‘t be afraid to use strengh. After it was out I realized I bent the little plate on the lock where the rod sits in. In case if you damage the rod you can just take a welding rod for it it works perfect mine was missing on the drivers side.

Good luck

I didn't want to use force in case of breaking something. It looks to me that they couldn't have made it more difficult if they tried! Wondering whether I could pull out the rod from the door end with pliers and then push it back in when the new lock is on.

I didn't want to use force in case of breaking something. It looks to me that they couldn't have made it more difficult if they tried! Wondering whether I could pull out the rod from the door end with pliers and then push it back in when the new lock is on.
The rod itself is out of a very solid metal like the rest of the linkage. Maybe someone knows a better trick but it worked on mine very well. Sometimes these classics need a rough hand to be worked on

Its pretty simple - maybe these photos will help ... '69 RR

Remove the clip (red arrow)
Remove the clip that holds the barrel in the door
Pull out the barrel

IMG_0899 (2018_12_24 15_31_28 UTC) 3.jpg

IMG_0903 (2018_12_24 15_31_28 UTC).JPG

IMG_0901 (2018_12_24 15_31_28 UTC).JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back