• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Running More Poorly The Longer I Drive

bobfake

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:48 PM
Reaction score
Hi all,

Odd occurrence….my ‘68 Super Bee with a 383 and 4 speed has been running great. To Carlisle and back no problems.

Out of the blue yesterday, it started fine and I went to a friend’s house and on the way it started to seemingly miss somewhat. On my way back home, it ran more and more poorly the further I went. Made it home.

To myself I’m thinking ignition. Maybe fuel. Has a brand new carburetor on it. I know that if my spark was getting weaker as I drove, the car would run worse as I went.

I’m going to check the charging system tomorrow. I personally like check lists. Does anyone have or can you point me to an electrical system charging test checklist? Battery, alternator, voltage regulator…

Thanks!
Bob

Think all you want, but basic troubleshooting will give you the answer. Do you have a multimeter ?

Think all you want, but basic troubleshooting will give you the answer. Do you have a multimeter ?
Yes, I know. Hence my question. Looking for a checklist to guide me and my multimeter through the steps in the proper order…

Were you parked next to a bronze Charger at Carlisle?

I thought that may have been your Bee, Bob!

Last edited:
With engine idling, check voltage at the battery; should be 13v or higher.
Fitting a new carb may have allowed debris into the carb, causing flooding or blocked passages.

Hi all,

Odd occurrence….my ‘68 Super Bee with a 383 and 4 speed has been running great. To Carlisle and back no problems.

Out of the blue yesterday, it started fine and I went to a friend’s house and on the way it started to seemingly miss somewhat. On my way back home, it ran more and more poorly the further I went. Made it home.

To myself I’m thinking ignition. Maybe fuel. Has a brand new carburetor on it. I know that if my spark was getting weaker as I drove, the car would run worse as I went.

I’m going to check the charging system tomorrow. I personally like check lists. Does anyone have or can you point me to an electrical system charging test checklist? Battery, alternator, voltage regulator…

Thanks!
Bob
In 2022, I drove to and from Van Nuys CA for the annual Spring Fling car show. It was around 900 miles total and the car ran great the whole time. A couple weeks later, the engine started to develop a miss. I got gas and drove some more but then it started to detonate, the valvetrain noise got louder and got more sluggish. I lashed the valves but the damage was done.
I wiped out the camshaft.
For years, I ran Valvoline VR 1 and a bottle of Comp Cams supplement but had switched to a synthetic about a year before the trip. The synthetic claimed to have "extra ZDDP"...

37 R.JPG

39 R.JPG

I blame this oil for the cam failure.
I pulled the intake to get a look at the cam and lifters and noticed the worn lobes. I ended up pulling the engine and trans for a rebuild.
I hope this isn't the case for you.

In case it is, check this out:

Re-Rebuilding the 440-493 in a 1970 Charger

My threads always seem to run for many pages so be ready to sift through some off topic subject matter in there.

What carb do you have on it now compared to the one that was on it before?

What carb do you have on it now compared to the one that was on it before?
Both 4160 Holleys. Was 750 vac now a 650 vac. Had the 650 on to go to Carlisle and it ran great. Probably put a couple hundred on since then with no problem.

Does it look like it's maintaining the correct fuel level?

As above, you could’ve got some water at the last fillup.

What octane / ethanol fuel did you get on the way back home? If it was low grade fuel it could have fouled some plugs. It has happened to me recently. Mine cleared up after putting better fuel back in it and diluting it out. Just a thought.

Coil.

What did I win?
:)

What octane / ethanol fuel did you get on the way back home? If it was low grade fuel it could have fouled some plugs. It has happened to me recently. Mine cleared up after putting better fuel back in it and diluting it out. Just a thought.
I always run 93

Auto Transport Service
Back