• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rusty 1969 RT charger

Wigger

Local time
5:05 PM
Reaction score
Im new to the forum , and looking for some direction , I recently purchased a mopar collection, which included a 1969 RT Charger 440 4 barrel, 4 speed, Dana 3.54., car is numbers matching with build sheet , engine trans and clutch rebuilt, but the car is rusty, quarters,inners,floors,trunk,frame rail front back , beyond fixing. Trying to decide what to do, find another donor body or part the car out. Whats the running gear worth, compared to a donor car, and where could i find a donor car. I hate to part it out, it just seams wrong to do.
I also have a 1970 440 6 pack motor, with all machine work done ,and new parts, needs to be assembled , complete from oil pan to carbs, missing air cleaner base and lid, whats the value, cant seam to get a honest answer.
Thanks, so far im really enjoying the forum. Picture.jpgPicture 001.jpgPicture 022.jpgPicture 033.jpg

What a shame to have that happen to such a great car. Even if someone was crazy enough to restore it, it would never reach it's full value. The reason is it would be 50% AMD metal. So at this point it's either the crusher or part it out to help save another 69 R/T that is savable. What would be cool is to find the savable R/T that is missing the running gear but has a very close SPD so at least the dates would line up.

The 6 BBL motor is nothing but a regular 440 with the big rods and a few other bolt-ons. Unless you have a block VIN and can prove that came out of a 6 BBL car - and someone needs that engine - it's just a 440. Price is pretty much the sum of all parts.

hi and welcome to the site to bad that there in this condition ,the charger was probably a real looker

Last edited:
Thats a very nice find and guys n gals on this site have rebuilt a lot worse. Just check out some off the pics of members rebuilding there rides.as for value people are looking for these beast all the time and most off the mopar muscle started to rust the day they were built.if frame rails are all in tack and good or fixable restore it as for amd body panels 99.9% of muscle cars have had at least one item replaced on them.restore it time is nothing when you enjoy what you have n do.good luck

Great car! The bad news is, in my experience of body work, that body is shot. I do not say that easily for a Mopar. You could replace everything, or your best bet would probably be to use the drive train in another vehicle worth working on. Even with the matching numbers, it would be almost meaningless once you get done replacing the sheet metal. Enjoy the project! :D

Thats a very nice find and guys n gals on this site have rebuilt a lot worse. Just check out some off the pics of members rebuilding there rides.as for value people are looking for these beast all the time and most off the mopar muscle started to rust the day they were built.if frame rails are all in tack and good or fixable restore it as for amd body panels 99.9% of muscle cars have had at least one item replaced on them.restore it time is nothing when you enjoy what you have n do.good luck

X2

Are you saying above the frame rails are rotted? Or Just a part is?

Many have to replace floor, trunk floor and quarters and do work around the rear window. The car look complete and the BS is a plus. I'd get the interior out and haul it to car wash and blast it really good. It may look worse than it is sitting there with the leaves, sap and several years of dirt on it

X2

Are you saying above the frame rails are rotted? Or Just a part is?

Many have to replace floor, trunk floor and quarters and do work around the rear window. The car look complete and the BS is a plus. I'd get the interior out and haul it to car wash and blast it really good. It may look worse than it is sitting there with the leaves, sap and several years of dirt on it

Frame rails are shot front and back ,doors, fenders, hood are in decent shape . The car came with lots of extra parts, 2 grills , 2 sets of bumpers , good interior, 2 dashes, 5-6 dash inserts , 2-3 sets of chrome and stainless, 69 1/2 six pack setup , tail lights , wiring, you name it theres lots of it there , guy had big dreams but left it outside in the dirt to long. Any ideas what the drive train is worth.
thanks for all the replies,things i wanted to here, and didnt want to here.

- - - Updated - - -

Picture 016.jpgPicture 002.jpgPicture 006.jpg Picture 009.jpg

Put it on fleabay. Someone will probably give you $10K for it. Maybe wash the leaves off it first.

Thats a crying shame. Even covered in crap that car still looks like a beast. Hate to see it go to the grave.

Welcome to the site Wigger! Quite the Sunday car you got there (its holy) The frame rails speak volumes of the cars condition, also how's the cowl? You may need to strip the car down for an accurate evaluation. What is your experience (deep pockets) or willingness to do metal work? Is this a dream car of yours or future sale? I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ here just trying to see where your coming from. AMD has put many cars back to useable condition, also used parts (shells) are out there as well. I'd need a bit more info before a direction can be given. Is #s matching a priority on this car? As far as value of the drive train, its worth what someone will pay (I know that doesn't help), If $ is the motivator or your unwilling to pay or do metal work, parting it maybe an option. You may want to go thru and search the site for recent sales of parts like yours to get a better idea of what real $ would be for your parts. As for the engine how long has it been since the rebuild? What parts (if known) were used? May I ask, what other treasures you picked up in this collection? Pics are welcome! Looks like a it was a very cool car in its day, I think parting it would be a shame, though many would be happy for the parts. People have rebuilt worse, yours is an awesome find!!!

1st off Welcome to FBBO... Car is worth it's weight in scrap after you remove usable parts... I know that's harsh... I'm a realist, I won't BS you & The very unpopular answer will be, part it out, send the rest to the scrap yard... IMHFO they all can't be saved unfortunately, no matter how much we all want them too be, I know it's not always about $$$ or time too, but your hard earned $$$ money, would be better spent on something else... I know I have & many others have fixed these total rust buckets {I prefer not to when ever possible} & it will cost as much as the car will ultimately be worth, in the long run & will take allot of time {you can't get that back or be paid for that either} & allot of $$$ parts sourcing & shipping costs, just to break even... It sounds like "value/worth" is a key issue with you... Unless this is a "Bucket List car" or some absolutely "I have to have it car" & you can do 99% of the work yourself, find all the necessary/needed expensive parts & you have sufficient funds to pay for such a project or it's a very rare car, with very rare options, 1 of 1 to a 1 of 10 or something along those lines... That's what I would suggest, that you do... I know, it's really a heart breaker & it's truly sad, but that's what I would honestly recommend... Looks like allot of usable parts, for another Charger Project, you still have some value maybe... I would clean it very well 1st & see what is under all the years of leafs & all the accumulated moss {been there for decades probably}, the roof line, various trim pieces etc. doesn't look too bad, get the vinyl top & all the trim pieces of it, see what's under it, clean all the glass, remove stuff to help access all the parts & see conditions, what is good & what is rusted junk, remove all the trim also around the front & rear window area & the cowl area, grill etc. & that will tell you allot... I also don't see any interior, console {there's $1800-$2000 or more all by it's self}, dash or gauges {more big money} in any of your photos, hopefully they are with the extra parts & were stored in a dry warm climate controlled area... There's a ton of $$$ right there... Rotten floors & trunks are a regular/typical affair, unless you by a south western car or from a much dryer climate {I highly suggest/recommend}... Frame rails are pretty easy, especially once you have all the floors & trunk, both out of it, like that car will definitely need... What I see is a minimum of $20k-$50k in restoration & parts & sheet-metal costs, all depending on what you are able to do yourself... You can buy a car complete running & driving for that easily & a nice one.... The Engine in question, the 69.5 6bbl, 3 Holley carbs & intake set-up/manifold & linkages air cleaner etc. if they are actually 69.5 originals, is what's worth the real money probably {$2500 to buy new reproduction parts, more for originals to a guy who needs them}, the rest is just basically a HP 440 with heavier rods & forged crank & counterweighted harmonic-balancer $1000-$1500 {if it was actually, stored properly & doesn't need to be gone thru again} maybe to the right person, that needs a date coded block, a little more for the long block possibly, the 906 heads are relatively cheap thou.... Sorry if I have burst anyones bubble, after doing 25 or so B-body Mopars & 12 were 68-70 Chargers, over the years, that's my $0.02 cents...

- - - Updated - - -

Great car! The bad news is, in my experience of body work, that body is shot. I do not say that easily for a Mopar. You could replace everything, or your best bet would probably be to use the drive train in another vehicle worth working on. Even with the matching numbers, it would be almost meaningless once you get done replacing the sheet metal. Enjoy the project! :D

:iamwithstupid: Raubhautz Welcome to FBBO also, have you gone to the welcome wagon forum yet ??... Maybe introduced yourself, maybe give us some background & maybe post some photos of your projects... Happy Moparing, enjoy the site

Welcome to the site Wigger! Quite the Sunday car you got there (its holy) The frame rails speak volumes of the cars condition, also how's the cowl? You may need to strip the car down for an accurate evaluation. What is your experience (deep pockets) or willingness to do metal work? Is this a dream car of yours or future sale? I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ here just trying to see where your coming from. AMD has put many cars back to useable condition, also used parts (shells) are out there as well. I'd need a bit more info before a direction can be given. Is #s matching a priority on this car? As far as value of the drive train, its worth what someone will pay (I know that doesn't help), If $ is the motivator or your unwilling to pay or do metal work, parting it maybe an option. You may want to go thru and search the site for recent sales of parts like yours to get a better idea of what real $ would be for your parts. As for the engine how long has it been since the rebuild? What parts (if known) were used? May I ask, what other treasures you picked up in this collection? Pics are welcome! Looks like a it was a very cool car in its day, I think parting it would be a shame, though many would be happy for the parts. People have rebuilt worse, yours is an awesome find!!!
Ill try and shead some light on what happened, I found this collection for sale in a add, 69 RT charger,70RT challenger, 70 challenger parts car, and lots of extra parts , I was the first to view the collection, I had a buddy that wanted the charger and i wanted the challengers , I described the car to buddy and bought the collection , buddy back out of the deal. I like the charger and would love to see it restored but it is out of my scope of ability. I was hoping some one would buy the car with extra parts , but i think that i am going to part it out. I have extra dashes, dash inserts , tail lights , wiring , stainless, chrome, etc.

Attachments

• Copy of Picture 052.jpg
    Copy of Picture 052.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 527
  • Copy (2) of Picture 035.jpg
    Copy (2) of Picture 035.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 534
  • Copy (2) of Picture 036.jpg
    Copy (2) of Picture 036.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 545
  • Copy (2) of Picture 037.jpg
    Copy (2) of Picture 037.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 540
  • Copy (2) of Picture 038.jpg
    Copy (2) of Picture 038.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 556
  • Copy (2) of Picture 039.jpg
    Copy (2) of Picture 039.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 546
  • Copy (2) of Picture 041.jpg
    Copy (2) of Picture 041.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 626
  • Copy (2) of Picture 042.jpg
    Copy (2) of Picture 042.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 531
  • Copy of Picture 043.jpg
    Copy of Picture 043.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 569
  • Copy of Picture 048.jpg
    Copy of Picture 048.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 526
  • Copy of Picture 049.jpg
    Copy of Picture 049.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 546
  • Copy of Picture 050.jpg
    Copy of Picture 050.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 571
  • Copy of Picture 051.jpg
    Copy of Picture 051.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 551
hell of a collection there... sorry to see your Buddy backed out on you... good luck

Best of luck on that Challenger and sale of your parts!

Auto Transport Service
Back