• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shaft seal leaking on my 68 Charger 383 P/S pump, replacement or seal kit? (pic)

Indetrucks

Local time
2:33 AM
Reaction score
I have no clue which pump I have. Can anyone help ID this and point me in the right direction for either a replacement or rebuild kit? I'm also open to having it rebuilt professionally.
Thanks!

68 chrgr 383 ps pump.jpg

Definitely get it rebuilt
20240604_200945.jpg
with new seals. You can do it yourself. Coincidentally I put my pump back in yesterday evening after pulling it to fix a leak from the shaft seal.

Definitely get it rebuilt View attachment 1674178with new seals. You can do it yourself. Coincidentally I put my pump back in yesterday evening after pulling it to fix a leak from the shaft seal.
Nice, I have no idea which kit to buy, which was the intent of this thread. Did you need a special pulley in order to rebuild it?

@Kern Dog should be able to identify the pump, he knows his stuff and has lots of pumps etc in his stash.
When you say "special pulley" do you mean special puller tool?

You might, depending on pump. Mine is a '66 Saginaw and there is a nut that holds the pulley on. Later pumps might be press fit on a tapered shaft.

The kit should look something like this - just 'O' rings and a shaft seal
7001.jpg

That is either a Federal or TRW. It is NOT a Saginaw.

I found this on another thread on this forum:
1706335186085.jpeg

Based on your bracket, it's a TRW (Thompson). I've never rebuilt a TRW pump, but I think they're a little more involved than a Saginaw, which is just a vane style pump. Check out Youtube for rebuild videos.
I found this on Moparts, saying there are 2 sizes of TRW pumps: 4 5/8" & 5 1/8". "The “Small” TRW pump is the pump with the plain shaft, no hole, no hex. The Edelmann kit part number is 7897. The “Large” TRW pump with the hex shaft ( Does Not have internal threads to reinstall pulley) uses Edelmann kit number 7898. You can buy the kits from Rock Auto or Amazon".

Power steering pump

1968 DODGE CHARGER 6.3L 383cid V8 Power Steering Pump Seal Kit | RockAuto

Federal_power_steering_brackets.gif

Last edited:
Based on your bracket, it's a TRW (Thompson). I've never rebuilt a TRW pump, but I think they're a little more involved than a Saginaw, which is just a vane style pump. Check out Youtube for rebuild videos.
I found this on Moparts, saying there are 2 sizes of TRW pumps: 4 5/8" & 5 1/8". "The “Small” TRW pump is the pump with the plain shaft, no hole, no hex. The Edelmann kit part number is 7897. The “Large” TRW pump with the hex shaft ( Does Not have internal threads to reinstall pulley) uses Edelmann kit number 7898. You can buy the kits from Rock Auto or Amazon".

Power steering pump

1968 DODGE CHARGER 6.3L 383cid V8 Power Steering Pump Seal Kit | RockAuto

View attachment 1674207
Looking at the back of the pump, it looks like the Large Notch TRW pump on the left and the front shaft has no hole/hex.
It sounds like I need the Edelmann kit part number 7897 .

Thanks so much everyone! Now I need to figure out if I need a special puller or tools for he rebuild.

Thanks so much everyone! Now I need to figure out if I need a special puller or tools for he rebuild.
I'm planning on rebuilding my Saginaw unit which I believe does need some kind of puller to get off. Other question I have is how do folks press it back on???

I'm planning on rebuilding my Saginaw unit which I believe does need some kind of puller to get off. Other question I have is how do folks press it back on???

From ALL the info I have been reading, you will need a press. I watched a few rebuild videos and while I can rent a free puller from my local auto store, the rebuild of my TRW pump is a little overwhelming. Been reading of people having issues after they tried the rebuild themselves and am tempted to outsource it. However, that cost exceeds $245 and takes weeks... which I may as well buy a reman at that point. Too bad the reman/new units I've found are all out of stock.

From ALL the info I have been reading, you will need a press. I watched a few rebuild videos and while I can rent a free puller from my local auto store, the rebuild of my TRW pump is a little overwhelming. Been reading of people having issues after they tried the rebuild themselves and am tempted to outsource it. However, that cost exceeds $245 and takes weeks... which I may as well buy a reman at that point. Too bad the reman/new units I've found are all out of stock.
Yeah, that's what I kind of figured, I need to hit Youtube myself. Thanks.

From ALL the info I have been reading, you will need a press.
If the shaft has a threaded hole down the center, you can use a "puller" available at Auto Zone.

The same puller would be used to reinstall it. Have steer and Gear do it, they are good people. Looks like a federal to me.

I resealed mine last year. I have a puller to get the pulley off. My pump didn't have the threaded shaft needed to push the pulley back on but I have a Wilton 5" vice that opens wide enough that I was able to push the pulley back on with. Just make sure you use a spacer on the back of the shaft so you don't damage the snap ring when you push it back on. Another tip. Get the Mopar shaft seal. I tried a seal from Napa that crossed over to the same part number but it was thinner and without the rubber seal on it. The darn thing didn't leak around the shaft but leaked around the outside of the seal. It was a much worse leak than I had to start with. Had to do it all over with the correct seal. Hope this helps someone get it done right the first time.

Aren't there local power steering repair shops near you? Here in Australia there's good shops for power steering, diffs, transmissions, radiators etc everywhere.
I'd changed all the reservoir seals myself on my pump but for the shaft seal I just took it to a local shop. Dropped the pump off on Thursday, collected it Monday all fixed. He knew what the pump was straight away, said they are used on different cars from many automakers.

A seal kit is inexpensive, rebuilding a Saginaw pump is an easy DIY project. I don’t know about other makes. You should be able to get a reman pump and reuse your existing housing if you don’t want to repair it yourself, check NAPA or Rock Auto. The other option is to get yours professionally rebuilt if you can live with the lead time. Lares did the stuff for my buddy’s ‘63 Ford, at the time they were able to turn it around in a few weeks…

Auto Transport Service
Back