• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shifter gets stuck going from 2nd to 3rd

340runner

Local time
1:53 AM
Reaction score
I have a hurst competition plus shifter that I had a shop install when they replaced the transmission in the car, and when the car is stationary, it shifts like butter through all the gears, and when I'm driving 1st to second is fine, but 2nd to 3rd hangs up almost like it hits a wall if I try and shift anything but ultra leisurely and slowly. It sometimes is ok to shift, but other times it will hang up and jam itself till I wiggle it back and forth then it will go in. The transmission and hurst shifter are not but a couple weeks old, so I dont really even have a idea and also I haven't had experience with the hurst shifters as this is my first car.

340 Roadrunner A833

Paul

Your first step should be to verify that the shifter linkage is aligned properly. It is not a complicated procedure, but if you are unfamiliar with it check out this link:

https://www.holley.com/blog/post/ho...xvw37Nb88GtmLW_RYETvnn3HakXfqAxDzFS2rfwtmO7s5

or Google something similar. Brewer's or Passon might be another source.

You didn't mention what type of "Shop" performed the installation for you. Hopefully properly adjusting the shifter linkage solves your problem. If not, I am afraid you may be going into the transmission for a look at the interlock mechanism.

Your first step should be to verify that the shifter linkage is aligned properly. It is not a complicated procedure, but if you are unfamiliar with it check out this link:

https://www.holley.com/blog/post/ho...xvw37Nb88GtmLW_RYETvnn3HakXfqAxDzFS2rfwtmO7s5

or Google something similar. Brewer's or Passon might be another source.

You didn't mention what type of "Shop" performed the installation for you. Hopefully properly adjusting the shifter linkage solves your problem. If not, I am afraid you may be going into the transmission for a look at the interlock mechanism.
The shop that did the installation I think is pretty reputable, I just had my transmission rebuilt a month or 2 ago so I dont know about the transmission, but it's always a possibility. I just am not sure why it would be a only while driving hard kind of thing, and not just putting around or even when stationary trying to shift quickly. Based on that though, I think the shifter might be aligned properly and it might be the trans though

Check the shifter alignment first. It is easy and you do not have to remove the shifter or the transmission to accomplish it. If the travel stops in the shifter are not set correctly, that can cause the symptoms you describe.
Reputable shop is a relative term. Are they well versed in manual transmissions? Your A833 is older than most if not all of the people at the trans shop.
Hope it turns out to be a simple adjustment.

That’s an issue with going between the 2 main gates which is almost certainly a shifter rod adjustment issue. It’s not unusual for an initial attempt to adjust shift linkage to require a bit more adjustment. Possibly a transmission lever was not fully in neutral. A rod bushing may have wear and play (especially if the nylon type). Bolts to the transmission mount or to the transmission may need tightening. If they are a good shop they will take care of it.

Last edited:
Check your motor mounts (broken?) and Z-bar bushings for binding.

Chuck (snook)

Check your motor mounts (broken?) and Z-bar bushings for binding.

Chuck (snook)
I actually just replaced them a week ago with poly mounts, I went through 2 sets of the rubber ones, I guess they don't handle too well with more than stock power

I had the same issue, rebuilt trans, new shifter, everything adjusted correctly.

Side cover gearshift lever was the problem.

The squared off section that the shift linkage lever bolts to wears down causing the linkage lever to turn before the gearshift.
Also, the depth of the squared off section is very shallow, way less than that of the linkage lever.

When going from second to third it would not come completely out of second as the shifter lever would turn first by itself, never getting completely out of second. No lock washer, lock tight, or torque on the nut would hold the shifter lever on to the shaft.

Sent old shift linkage levers off to Brewers, they machined new ones, the shift lever is now a tight fit, and the squared off section has a little more depth to it.

Auto Transport Service
Back