• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Skunks. Who has dealt with these stinky creatures?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:22 PM
Reaction score
I don’t know if I have a sensitive nose or what it is but the ungodly stench of a skunk just seems to stick in my nose.
We have dogs here. We let them play in a fenced yard but animals wander through quite often. Squirrels, turkeys, coyotes, rabbits, even deer sometimes. Skunks pass through sometimes as well and of course, the dogs chase them out.
You know what that means.
The wife might as well not have a nose. She rarely notices any smell when she lets the dogs in after they have been skunked. I thought women were supposed to have a more sensitive nose. She does not. Several times the dogs run in and I smell the stench immediately.
We watch a dog for a friend sometimes. 2 weeks ago get dog bit a skunk and despite her efforts, the dog still reeks. I washed it with a solution that was supposed to help but it made it worse. I had the stink on my nose for 3 hours now. I smell it everywhere as if my sinuses are coated in skunk *** paste.
I’m pissed that she brought the dog here smelling like this.

Last edited:
Oh man! My little brother was traumatized during high school by skunks. One decided to take up residence under the house and of course sprayed under there. Needless to say, my brother had to go to school everyday with skunk scent attached to him. Not the way you want to smell when chasing tail! He drew a pencil drawing in art class with a man screaming at the sky wearing a skunk skin cap. Even today, they seem to show up everytime he visits the folks. Haha... those skunk ancestors can sense when he's coming i guess. Make sure you don't leave any cat food or dog food out or any other kind of food. I've heard of tomato juice too but don't have experience.

I give the dog a bath in peroxide, baking soda and dawn dish soap....... it helps, but the smell is stubborn for at least a week

Had one locked in our garage all night, was chewing trough the drywall to out get. That was fun

they come around and eat the left over cat food at are place in san jose , but the raccoons run them off without a stink from the skunks . we've also been visited by a peehen , she laid eggs on the hood of my pop's old c10 in the barn . i used to call her '' thanksgiving '' .

DSC05605.JPG

DSC09063.JPG

You have to bath in tomato juice, if you was to be sprayed by a skunk.
I give the dog a bath in peroxide, baking soda and dawn dish soap....... it helps, but the smell is stubborn for at least a week
I done both these methods
I think the Tomato juice works best, it's messy too

Dawn liquid soap, helps if it was a direct hit, or a big dose

I did try using hydrogen peroxide, after the Tomato juice
that seemed to work well, done outside in a big tub/horse water trough
so it can be used to dump over them again & again
takes at least a gallon of each of the stuff at a min. ,
on a bigger dog like a Lab...

Hydrogen Peroxide, Baking Soda and Dish Soap. Can throw in some Tomato juice also.

I get them occasionally taking up residence under my shed. I use Critter Ridder and spray the perimeter and the little bastards then went about tearing up my lawn for grubs. I have read that they don't like citrus peels so now I spread those around where they are digging. I also "Mark the territory" for them to enjoy.

With our own dogs, we have done the three part mix to wash them.
Sometimes the stench is super strong and seems to hang in the air and my nose. Todays incident still has me smelling it despite three people taking a whiff from me and saying that I smell fine.

Sucks to be you! :poke:

Years ago when I was still married, I'm sitting in the living room with the patio doors open and I caught wind of a skunk outside. The wife was getting ready to let the dogs out (two Maltese) and I told her just let one out at a time and keep an eye on it, there's a skunk out there. Nope, she let them both out and didn't bother watching them. A bit longer and she let's one in and the dog comes running into the living room and goes right under a chair. Whoo! what a smell. I told her she's all yours, I warned you. Ended up giving her a tomato juice bath in the tub. (One of many reasons she's my ex)

Kill ‘em all—- the skunks i mean.

Dawn liquid soap, helps if it was a direct hit, or a big dose

direct hit? lmao, my rottie would give them a death shake and rip them in half........ the stuff was in her nose, ears, on her breath..... it's a good thing we loved her

yes... "them", not "it"....... she got 3 of them

1728351480742.png

1728351542900.png

Last edited:
Whoaaa.... been through this a few times. Minimum 4 baths with all that's been mentioned... and you'll still smell a lingering odor up close for days.

I don’t know if I have a sensitive nose or what it is but the ungodly stench of a skunk just seems to stick in my nose.
We have dogs here. We let them play in a fenced yard but animals wander through quite often. Squirrels, turkeys, coyotes, rabbits, even deer sometimes. Skunks pass through sometimes as well and of course, the dogs chase them out.
The wife might as well not have a nose. She rarely notices any smell when she lets the dogs in after they have been skunked. I thought women were supposed to have a more sensitive nose. She does not. Several times the dogs run in and I smell the stench immediately.
We watch a dog for a friend sometimes. 2 weeks ago get dog bit a skunk and despite her efforts, the dog still reeks. I washed it with a solution that was supposed to help but it made it worse. I had the stink on my nose for 3 hours now. I smell it everywhere as if my sinuses are coated in skunk *** paste.
I wonder if that "Pooph" stuff they sell on TV actually works. Good for people, pets, and the planet.

That’s why I take a 1911 outside with the pooches! Scare somebody at least…

That sucks! I have them here rooting around for grubs all the time. When I let the dog out, I have to go out and shin3 the field up and make sure Pepe isn’t lurking about. So far so good! Couple close calls where we both missed seeing it until it was too late! Fortunately, the old girls eyesight isn’t what it used to be and I took the light off the skunk and she never saw it!

We use cage traps that are a bit tight. If they can’t get the tail up they can’t get you good! Ive trapped many! Always a bit sketchy though. Once in the trap, approach from head side! Toss a blanket over the trap, let them settle down for a few, pick them right up. Blanket and all. Leave blanket on and go release somewhere far far away or tie rope to the cage before trapping and toss in water. Don’t shoot em! More often than not, they spray when shot!

We washed the dog today and the smell seemed to get worse than ever. I left home to help a couple of friends and returned home 2 hours later. The treatment seemed to help since the smell on the dog was almost gone. I had put out 5 1 quart sized candles to tone down the stench in the house.
I can't stand this smell. I hate the smell of marijuana smoke too. It absolutely disgusts me.
I mowed the lawn and in the trash was some rotten shrimp the wife tried cooking a few days ago. Now this stuff was in the can for 2 days in 100 degree temperatures, all of it fermenting and decomposing and STILL it smelled better than these damned skunks *** blasts.
I could handle an overflowing porta potty at a summer concert.
I can tolerate a dead animal carcass with maggots crawling in it.
The smell of skunk is the absolute worst for me.

Auto Transport Service
Back