• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sloppy steering!

MMorgan

Local time
12:29 PM
Reaction score
Hi All, when I bought my car, one of the main issues was severe wondering in the steering. I adjusted WhT I could but it’s just wore out. I have been shopping for steering boxes . Redhead has always been my go to, but I’m kinda drawn to the Borgeson unit. Has anyone else used one of these units ? It is 2/3 size to accommodate headers, and has a true 14/1 ratio. All pluses in my book. Any feedback?

Installed 2 Borgeson units one on a 69 Chevelle and one on a 69GTX both times the owner was very happy and said it drove like a new car.

IMG_1479.JPG

IMG_1480.JPG

IMG_1481.JPG

IMG_1482.JPG

IMG_1483.JPG

IMG_1484.JPG

Hi All, when I bought my car, one of the main issues was severe wondering in the steering. I adjusted WhT I could but it’s just wore out. I have been shopping for steering boxes . Redhead has always been my go to, but I’m kinda drawn to the Borgeson unit. Has anyone else used one of these units ? It is 2/3 size to accommodate headers, and has a true 14/1 ratio. All pluses in my book. Any feedback?
Don't just blame the steering box....it could be a number things - sloppy and flogged out tie-rod end, ball joints, Idler arm, Pitman arm, front brake reaction rod bushes, torsion bar bushes......quite a few things to check.

Not only that, the steering box might just need some adjustment.

I've seen the steering coupler have a lot of play.
The bolts that retain the steering box loosen up too.
Kiwi is 100% right....There are many potential weak points to inspect before blaming the steering unit specifically.

Don't just blame the steering box....it could be a number things - sloppy and flogged out tie-rod end, ball joints, Idler arm, Pitman arm, front brake reaction rod bushes, torsion bar bushes......quite a few things to check.

Not only that, the steering box might just need some adjustment.
Tie rod ends, idler arm, upper/ lower ball joints, pitman, center link, torsion bar bushings, all new. , have adjusted the box a couple times .. it’s toast.

How was the alignment done? Borg has a great reputation, but been happy with the FFII box. Proper alignment is huge. Lots of good discussion on the forum on how it should be done.

I assume torsion bar bushes means LCA bushings?
They definitely can walk around and give a gross instability feeling.. ( If wore out)

Worn lower control arm bushing’s are not to be overlooked either.

I can use your help with mine - 68 Coronet. After replacing all 4 tie rod ends, pitman arm and idler for some reason I have lost the toe-in range. It's like now the tie rods are shorter. Is that even possible? Could I have bent control arm connector while removing the tie rod end? Tomorrow I will check all that out. Thanks!

Did you take measurement from end to end on old set up before removing tie rod ends? I’m trying to remember, I had an issue with using the old tie rod connectors. Ended up getting new ones. I think they bottomed out before achieving proper length!

Yes I measured. I also found the problem...the new pitman arm was incorrect. I am going to use the old one. After switching them the car was back to normal. Wheeeww!!! Thanks for commenting.

Damn, I should have caught that. I had to change my pitman to a different spline arm as well. Good to hear you got it handled..

Auto Transport Service
Back