• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I'm still looking for bent sheet metal dashes

verdelaw

Local time
11:21 PM
Reaction score
Anybody have a custom bent metal (probably aluminum) dash? I've got a 68 Charger I'm thinking about doing one in. Just the dash, no console. I've seen one on another car and I loved it. I posted this in 67-70 b-bodies but only Benno replied, and while nice, his dash isn't quite what I was thinking.

Looking for your pictures and stories, thanks.

Here is mine being mocked up. It's basically new metal on the existing dash frame

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Here's a pic of a Charger in my buddies shop. The dash is aluminum and is getting a hand brushed finish in the shop and will get black anodized.

seizure.jpg

Here's an instrument panel insert {not a full dash} for my 68 RR,
yet to be installed {not at that point yet}
it was about $750 total including all the wiring harness
I've done a few of these others over the years,
but mostly in racecars, not streetcars really,
a little more trimming detail involved to work with the upper & lower dash pad...

This is 0.090" 6061 Aluminum sheet appr. 24"x6" trimmed,
sculptured & tapered to fit the hole, drilled/hole-sawed
bent to a 90* for the upper mounts
tucks under the lower dash pad on the bottom &
will be held in place with 5-6 screws
overall cost for all 7 of the Autometer gauges, 3-3/8" 160mph Mech. Speedo & 8k Tach,
2-1/16" Volt, Fuel, Water Temp, Oil Pressure & Clock,
the 5 smaller 2-1/16" gauges are mounted in angled Autometer Gauge Pods,
also has 5 chrome bezels with 5/16" LED lights Red for E-Brake warning,
2 Green for Left & Right indicator,Blue for High Beams & Yellow low oil pressure warning...

old 60's style

Attachments

• 68 RR #1 Sep 12 2011.JPG
    68 RR #1 Sep 12 2011.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 576
  • 68 RR #4 Sep 12 2011.JPG
    68 RR #4 Sep 12 2011.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 593
  • 68 RR #5 Sep 12 2011.JPG
    68 RR #5 Sep 12 2011.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 579
  • 68 RR #7 Sep 12 2011.JPG
    68 RR #7 Sep 12 2011.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 581
  • 68 RR #6 Sep 12 2011.JPG
    68 RR #6 Sep 12 2011.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 584
Are either of those dashes removable with the glass in the car? I'm going to be welding the top of my dash to the car and cutting the bottom loose so I can remove it for access w/o pulling the windshield.

Good question, I'm curious about if these are removable without messing with the windshield too. It's funny and frustrating at the same time when looking at some of the 60s/70s engineering decisions that Dodge went with. Included in that thought are the left hand threads on the driver's side and right hand on the passenger side.

That mockup looks pretty nice, finallygotmine. Are you doing it yourself? Do you have a picture of the original dashboard for comparison? For the switches and vents, what will you use? One-off metal pieces? Plastic junk yard scavenged pieces?

Hyrdgoon, that looks like a nice dash. Nice and basic. What year charger is it going in? How did the owner/fabricator decide the specs and dimensions? Lots of test fitting guess and check? Brushed and then black? Maybe I'm in the dark, but I haven't heard of doing that.. doesn't that kind of hide the brushed look?

Budnicks that is interesting. I'd like to see it in the dash, or maybe the hole from whence it came (or where it's gonna go). $750 sounds steep, but then I contacting the tach-man that some people on here recommend... He wanted $980 to redo my original dash cluster. Anyway, sounds like you've put in, or had put in, a lot of work on that cluster. Do you think it has been worth the time and money? Or would you do something different if you could go back.

Here's mine, new metal on original frame then trimmed in aluminum and curly maple.

DSCN6898.jpg

DSCN7416.jpg

"Hyrdgoon, that looks like a nice dash. Nice and basic. What year charger is it going in? How did the owner/fabricator decide the specs and dimensions? Lots of test fitting guess and check? Brushed and then black? Maybe I'm in the dark, but I haven't heard of doing that.. doesn't that kind of hide the brushed look?"

Hey, It's a 69 Charger. I can't speak much as to the Fabrication because it was done by the owners brother and then the finished product was brushed, sent for anodizing and final assembly by my buddies shop.

Here's the answer to your last question

S1.jpgS2.jpgS3.jpg

Good question, I'm curious about if these are removable without messing with the windshield too. It's funny and frustrating at the same time when looking at some of the 60s/70s engineering decisions that Dodge went with. Included in that thought are the left hand threads on the driver's side and right hand on the passenger side.

That mockup looks pretty nice, finallygotmine. Are you doing it yourself? Do you have a picture of the original dashboard for comparison? For the switches and vents, what will you use? One-off metal pieces? Plastic junk yard scavenged pieces?

Hyrdgoon, that looks like a nice dash. Nice and basic. What year charger is it going in? How did the owner/fabricator decide the specs and dimensions? Lots of test fitting guess and check? Brushed and then black? Maybe I'm in the dark, but I haven't heard of doing that.. doesn't that kind of hide the brushed look?

Budnicks that is interesting. I'd like to see it in the dash, or maybe the hole from whence it came (or where it's gonna go). $750 sounds steep, but then I contacting the tach-man that some people on here recommend... He wanted $980 to redo my original dash cluster. Anyway, sounds like you've put in, or had put in, a lot of work on that cluster. Do you think it has been worth the time and money? Or would you do something different if you could go back.

You pretty much have to have the window out to remove or install the dash.

Right, but I was wondering about the new dashes. I understand the originals require removing the glass. It'd be a nice idea to install a new dash which doesn't require messing with the windshield (all from underneath).

It wouldn't be hard at all, just weld an extension into the windshield to extend the bolts out or make the whole top of the dash permanent hiding the fasteners under a pad or trim.

It wouldn't be hard at all, just weld an extension into the windshield to extend the bolts out or make the whole top of the dash permanent hiding the fasteners under a pad or trim.

I'm going to weld in the top part of the dash, including the part that holds the pad. I'll flange the underneath portion where the map light and heater controls are, and the rest will pivot on the side bolts and fasten to the permanent flanged area using DZUS fasteners. That way, I can hinge it and gain access or remove the side bolts and just take it out. The steering column will use a d-shaft u-joint at the firewall so it can be dropped out of the way.

John over at Mopar5150 made this dash for a custom 1969 Charger - DSC_1341.jpg

I worked with John on the vehicle but wasn't around for the dash and don't want to take the credit away from him - was a very simple and practical design that allowed for a glove box still and also allowed space if one wanted to add more gauges or switches.

This was a bend steel panel that was attached to the original metal dash frame with small allen head bolts.

Cleeeeeeeeeeeean! I'm loving it. I'm thinking aluminum and unpainted, but this dash is pretty close to what I'm thinking. Thanks for posting! I'll have to look up Mopar 5150...

Find a local sheet metal shop, they should be able to fab up anything you draw for them. There are talented people all around you, you just have to find them. I'm sure it won't be cheap, but nothing for mopars are cheap

Yeah Mikey I know it. I actually have a shop that I could probably use for free, and they would show me how to use the machines and stuff. I'd have to do the work myself and I'd of course have to buy the materials myself. But what that means is, now I just need the plans! I wonder if anyone has the specs for their custom dash on a 68-70 charger?....

Otherwise I'll have to measure and draw and scratch my head for a while first before I cut and bend up an expensive piece of metal.

John over at Mopar5150 made this dash for a custom 1969 Charger - View attachment 256521

I worked with John on the vehicle but wasn't around for the dash and don't want to take the credit away from him - was a very simple and practical design that allowed for a glove box still and also allowed space if one wanted to add more gauges or switches.

This was a bend steel panel that was attached to the original metal dash frame with small allen head bolts.

That is very sanitary, simple clean & functional look

Get yourself a piece of cardBoard and make yourself a dash then copy it in metal. It looks like rolling thunder measured to the center of the steering column then went down at a 30° to a 45° maybe. Play with it and enjoy what you make!

Get yourself a piece of cardBoard and make yourself a dash then copy it in metal. It looks like rolling thunder measured to the center of the steering column then went down at a 30° to a 45° maybe. Play with it and enjoy what you make!

I made my own and this is exactly how I did it, cardboard stencils. I started off bending the profile then split the center to allow it to be bent (the dash in a Charger comes to a slight point in the center) then just started playing around with different ideas. Not to hard especially if you gut your old dash and use the frame making it a 100% bolt in fit.

That's the plan! Good tips!

747, your dash is beautiful. That's way beyond what I was thinking... I'm just thinking a no-**** bent piece of metal. I am curious how rolling thunder got the stereo rectangle, vent circle, and key/ignition indentation in there.

Auto Transport Service
Back