• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spindle question

hemidart1

Local time
1:59 PM
Reaction score
These are the spindles that were on my 67 GTX
I thought that the bolts slide through the front side of the spindle, through the lower ball joint and were secured with a castle nut.
But mine are threaded - so the nut would have to come through the back side and thread into the spindle.
Is this the way it should be???
I am stumped
( I was not there when the body shop dismantled the car so I didn’t see the original set up)

IMG_7427.jpeg

IMG_7429.jpeg

IMG_7430.png

Not sure. All I have seen had a nut. Those look to be disc brake spindles.

Those are not spindles, they are steering knuckles. It does look like it is for a disc brake application.

These are the spindles that were on my 67 GTX
I thought that the bolts slide through the front side of the spindle, through the lower ball joint and were secured with a castle nut.
But mine are threaded - so the nut would have to come through the back side and thread into the spindle.
Is this the way it should be???
I am stumped
( I was not there when the body shop dismantled the car so I didn’t see the original set up)

View attachment 1707701

View attachment 1707702

View attachment 1707703
As long as the spindle assembly does not fall off during operation , why does it matter??
BOB RENTON

Those are not spindles, they are steering knuckles. It does look like it is for a disc brake application.
INCORRECT......THEY ARE SPINDLES......COMPLETE WITH THE THREADED END FOR THE BEARING RETAINER NUT AND MACHINED AREAS FOR THE INNER RACES FOR THE TAPERED WHEEL BEARINGS AND OIL SEAL. They are forged, heat treated, stress relieved and machined. Look up the definition....
BOB RENTON

The complete steel forging is called a steering knuckle. The original post was about the method of attachment of the knuckle to the ball joint, it wasn't about the spindle part of the knuckle.

INCORRECT......THEY ARE SPINDLES...... Look up the definition....
BOB RENTON

The complete steel forging is called a steering knuckle. The original post was about the method of attachment of the knuckle to the ball joint, it wasn't about the spindle part of the knuckle.

88E3D40B-3A3D-4443-82DA-E969E54E9AD3.jpeg

Wrong again Bob. As I stated, the spindle is part of the knuckle.
The upper and lower ball joints attach to the knuckle as stated above.
Just because people have misidentified it for years does not suddenly mean they/you are correct.

View attachment 1708110

Wrong again Bob. As I stated, the spindle is part of the knuckle.
The upper and lower ball joints attach to the knuckle as stated above.
Just because people have misidentified it for years does not suddenly mean they/you are correct.
The assembly is the steering knuckle assembly when attached to the vehicle The part that retains the wheel, bearing drum/rotor assembly is the spindle assembly attached to the ball joints and tie rod ends...sounds like you learned from GM. What does the MOPAR parts manual call the part the wheel bearings attach to and are retained by the castelated nut? If you disagree....fine.....call it what you like and so will I.
BOB RENTON

It's one of those that gets filed in the no one gives a **** drawer.
Right beside engine/ motor.

We all are entitled to our opinion but are not entitled to our own facts.

THIS is a steering knuckle.

7A1F4FAC-0289-4185-9155-7DB6119346A2.jpeg

It is a single piece forging . Here is another part of the knuckle.

DBC391F4-C6BD-4B5E-81DB-FAF1B50E944C.jpeg

Below is a removable caliper mounting bracket.

BC9F6681-4C3E-401E-AD3E-99DE1F79F031.jpeg

THIS is the only part of all of this that is a spindle.

9BDD2961-9620-4692-9317-0996C2083C83.jpeg

To call everything between the ball joints a “spindle” is wrong.

Last edited:
When I see someone " changed their breaks" it makes my hair stand on end.
So ya, I get it.

Auto Transport Service
Back