• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

squealing belts ?

CtownChris

Local time
12:49 AM
Reaction score
Had new Radiator, clamps, water pump, hoses replaced where the car was stored.

Got it home and put the fan shroud on yesterday.

Took the fan off but did not loosen the belts. The pulley for the water pump fan stayed in place the belt tension. Got it back and tightened up but new squeal sound has started.
Everything looks aligned and straight.

I figure I should loose the belts. Tighten up the fan then tighten up the belts again.

Am I missin something else?

Never mind. Found the washers on the water pump bolts are oversized and rubbing on the inside edge of the pulley.
PITA
Maybe warped pulley wheel?

Sometimes the hootus (that's pronounced hoot-us) on the water pump that the pulley seats to is either pressed on to far, or not far enough. Could be that since you just replaced the pump and (since you didn't mention it) it didn't make the noise before, the hootus is pressed on just a bit farther than the one you replaced....thus moving the pulley slightly closer to the water pump bolts.

just a thought cause I've been there, done that

Hey Tem,

All is good. Just redid the whole assembly without belt tension. NO worries. No squeek, or squeals, aligns just fine.

Don't know what really was wrong and don't care. It's OK now. LOL
Aftermarket pump did have a thicker casting which required slightly shorter bolts Fan/pulley/ to Hooters.
( ) ( ) I mean hootus.

rather have the Hooters myself:grin:

Glad it all came out in the wash!

Auto Transport Service
Back