• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

steering column A-body to B-body will it work?

smatt

Local time
11:01 PM
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new member, and newbie question for you...

Will an steering column from an a-body ('69 dart) fit in a b-body ('68 Coronet)

I am going to switch to a floor shift, and have access to an a-body non column shift steering column if it would bolt up to the coronet.

Thanks,
Matt

Welcome. Good question. My "bet" would be yes, except for (I'm guessing) length, and (probably) the mount under the dash

Yeah I didn't even think of mounting, I was mainly thinking they might have different lengths being different size cars...

I'm very new to working on these cars so forgive dumb questions, but...
is there a difference in the steering column between a power steering car, and a non power steering?? The coronet I have is power steering, I'm not sure on the column coming out of the dart.

by the way I added a post to the welcome wagon to show a few pics of my new money pit...

Thanks for the tips, I'll see if I can compare the way they mount.

Matt

I don't think they will interchange, but like 69Runner implied it bears investigation. Typically there is a shaft length difference between the power and non power cars, with the power steering shaft being shorter.

Some people I know have used a manual column on a PS conversion on the 68 and later cars and just hammered the shaft into the column to make it fit. Just as an FYI I am not recommending you do this. The slip fit steering shaft is part of the built in collapsible feature so you don't get harpooned in a bad front end collision.

Ive wondered that myself. I have a column that came with my 69 barracuda and now working on a 70 satellite. Havent checked into it before since i wasnt going to the floor without bucket seats. If you come up with a solution let us know.

Again, I don't know if the shafts are the same, but IF you had two B body columns, one a column shift and the other a floor, one for power and the other not, you could disassemble them and swap the shafts from column to column.

I have peiced together the steering column for my 64. From what I know, the A body shaft is about 40" while the B body is 43". This is what I found for for manual steering in a 64, so it may or may not be helpful. Good luck.

Again, I don't know if the shafts are the same, but IF you had two B body columns, one a column shift and the other a floor, one for power and the other not, you could disassemble them and swap the shafts from column to column.

This works, I have done it several times.:yes:

Thanks alot for the info...

I can measure up the one from the Dart on Sat, but I didn't want to disassemble mine yet if I didn't have too...
I guess they also make a kit to convert a non power steering column to a power or vice versa according to my brother in law, but I haven't checked into this yet.

Sat we are going to dig his car out of storage and go through all the stuff with it, but he has it on craigslist, with a few people interested in it, so I need to decide soon if I want his column or not.

Thanks for the input.

Thanks alot for the info...

I can measure up the one from the Dart on Sat, but I didn't want to disassemble mine yet if I didn't have too...
I guess they also make a kit to convert a non power steering column to a power or vice versa according to my brother in law, but I haven't checked into this yet.

Sat we are going to dig his car out of storage and go through all the stuff with it, but he has it on craigslist, with a few people interested in it, so I need to decide soon if I want his column or not.

Thanks for the input.

They don't make a conversion kit, and you won't need one , just swap the internals from one to the other, the shaft will interchange.

The only "conversion" I have seen is a little extension that allows you to use a power column with a manual box.

My concern about using the A body column in a B body car is the mounting points will not match up, but as long as you have the tools in your hand it's not hard to find out.

Posting your findings will be much appreciated.

Well, Here is what I found out...

I think an A-body column will bolt in with the mounting bracket from the B-body (the brackets are different, but the 4 holes in the column are the same on both cars. The only thing I'm not sure of is once it passes through the firewall...

Here is a pic with measurements from my brother in laws A-body column.

These measurements are rough, not exact...
All matched what I measured on my Coronet except the 16" measurement was 17 1/2" on the Coronet, but the plate has room to slide... So it will bolt up to the dash, with the steering wheel in the correct location, but now I need to verify that there is enough length left after it goes through the firewall.

a body steering wheel.jpg

Well, Here is what I found out...

I think an A-body column will bolt in with the mounting bracket from the B-body (the brackets are different, but the 4 holes in the column are the same on both cars. The only thing I'm not sure of is once it passes through the firewall...

Here is a pic with measurements from my brother in laws A-body column.

These measurements are rough, not exact...
All matched what I measured on my Coronet except the 16" measurement was 17 1/2" on the Coronet, but the plate has room to slide... So it will bolt up to the dash, with the steering wheel in the correct location, but now I need to verify that there is enough length left after it goes through the firewall.

That's great info. Thanks for posting.

I just looked at the pic again, and the 16" measurement is not in the right position, I believe I measured that from firewall mounting plate to mounting holes, I'll double check and update the pic...

The pic is of the A-body column by the way if I didn't say that earlier...

My brother in law also said I could just buy the collar piece from a floor shift model, rather than a whole new column, and just take it apart, and remove the column shift section...

I'll have to do some more checking into that option... has anyone done that??

Thanks,
Matt

I have done that on my 68 RR and it works fine.

The easiest thing to do is post your floor shift column for sale on the Forabodiesonly website and take the procedes and buy the correct column here.
There are plenty of people that want a floor shift A-body column.

Auto Transport Service
Back