• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Column

moparwmac

Local time
8:24 AM
Reaction score
Wanted to see if anyone knew where to find an exploded view of the steering column?
Mine seems to be missing something to hold the top part of the column (where the turn signal switch is) to the main tube of the column. The steering wheel will move in and out of the joint at the steering box.
Any and all help is appreciated.

I would also love to see an exploded view. I can't seem to get my column back into the joint. It's like there's something stopping it from pushing into the coupling joint.

You may need to rebuild/reassemble the internals of the joint. The rebuild kits are available, it's an easy job.

Steering column view

I'll try to post a steering column view

My computer uploads the views but then says a security token is missing. ????????
Sorry guys, I don't know how to correct this problem

Swift, I'm having the exact same trouble. Got the column mounted right but the shaft won't go back into the coupler at the top of the gearbox. It's as if the shaft shortened itself by about an inch?! If you get it back in let me know how and I'll do the same. BTW mine's a 69 GTX.

I'm not sure what cars you guys are working on, but my coupler has like a key way. Look at your gear box and check to see if there is a key (essentially a spot that looks like two gear teeth as one). Line the coupler and the box up and you should have it. If you already checked this I apologize for the crude explanation. Just trying to help.

6pack, yeah same here. The key way and coupler are all good but I can't get the shaft to go beyond the bearing at the top collar below the steering wheel?!

If you have some pics that may help. So is your steering shaft jammed inside the metal sleeve/tube? On mine the steering coupler looks like it should go further onto the steering box but it actually doesn't. I'm assuming you have a groove on the steering box shaft? As long as your locator pin lines up with that groove you're good. Or are you not even on the steering box shaft with your coupler? You're getting hung up somewhere. I wish I could help you more at this point.

So, here's the deal. Shaft bottomed out at the bearing onto the collar under the steering wheel. Yet there's still about an inch to go to get it into the coupler on the gearbox?!

Attachments

• IMG_2529.jpg
    IMG_2529.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 660
  • IMG_2530.jpg
    IMG_2530.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 685
  • IMG_2531.jpg
    IMG_2531.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 668
  • IMG_2534.jpg
    IMG_2534.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 687
Mopars have collapsible steering columns,you may have sheered a plastic pin that allows the column to shorten if in a hard frontal collision. the column may have to be taken apart to realign the holes,insert cotter pin to hold in place,have had this happen years ago when I changed a steering wheel without using a proper puller.

But if I sheared the pin wouldn't it not rotate equally top and bottom? Where is the cotter pin and is a cotter pin all that actually holds a 2 piece shaft together? It seems like a one piece shaft. I unbolted the collar in the picture - just under the steering wheel and just pulled - it slipped right out. Not sure I follow but thanks for the input.

But if I sheared the pin wouldn't it not rotate equally top and bottom? Where is the cotter pin and is a cotter pin all that actually holds a 2 piece shaft together? It seems like a one piece shaft. I unbolted the collar in the picture - just under the steering wheel and just pulled - it slipped right out. Not sure I follow but thanks for the input.

Collapsible columns were introduced in 67, a 2 piece shaft that slips together that is flat sided , about mid point,it,s nylon injected to hold it together.If you strike it hard enough it will shear and allow movement of the shaft into each other making it shorter. I installed a cotter pin in mine after I sheared the nylon pin.

As I pull it part way out I see it does have a flat side. Whole column out or can I fix the shaft without the whole assembly out? Where is the nylon pin? Thanks for your help bee.

Oh crap! There's a nylon sheer pin? I discovered the shaft was collapsable (made sense for front collision) so I pulled the shaft into the car and few times until the shaft fully extended again. I gently tapped it with a rubber mallet while a buddy alligned it into the coupler block and I got it all back together. I should probably get a sheer pin in there or there's a chance it could vibrate out of the coupler block?

Yeah, my thought too. I see now that the shaft is a slip shaft with a flat spot for index, but again, where is the nylon pin spot or a place to put in a cotter pin? I could see it working itself out of the coupler on the gearbox if it weren't locked in somehow.

Chrysler used this type of steering column for years and they are dangerous to say the least. My solution...... if the column plastic sheer "pins" are broken don't worry about it let the steering shaft slide up and down inside the outer tube. The existing coupler on top of the steering box now will pop out or even fall out which is dangerous if left unresolved. Jegs and other aftermarket companies sell a full metal universal swivel style coupler. This coupler attaches to the splines on the gear box shaft.
The telescoping steering shaft slides into the coupler with a pin holding it in place. NOW...the coupler is securely attached and much safer than stock equipment that often just fell out. The telescoping tube left free is allowed to collapse if a collision occurred. Some people have anchored the telescoping shaft but avoid doing this because the steering wheel could be forced upwards towards the operator.

Check to steering coupling there should be a dowel in the top of it that holds the shoes in place. This will also prevent the shaft from going into the coupling. I have attached below the diagram for the coupling.steering coupler detail.jpg

Check to steering coupling there should be a dowel in the top of it that holds the shoes in place. This will also prevent the shaft from going into the coupling. I have attached below the diagram for the coupling.View attachment 220455
The dowel hole and pin is great but many don't have them. Sounds crazy but check
to see if your coupling has it. Mine doesn't. You could drill a hole for the dowel. Big blocks such as mine stuffed in a 68 Dart come too close to the coupling which has rubber inside with a plastic cover. The coupling will melt and cause grease to come out. Most people wouldn't think of checking but with the coupling missing the dowel hole and pin and the collapsible steering column it spells danger. I had 2 Darts that did not have the dowel holes.

Auto Transport Service
Back