• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering wheel stucks in a certain position

Daniel Brunner

Local time
4:35 PM
Reaction score
Took my car on a test drive today and I realized when I turn far right at a certain position my wheel stops turning. Have to use a lot of strength to continue steering looks like something stuck inside? It’s making a knock noise when turned over.
I have a new steering box, turn signal switch and a stock steering wheel.

Wheel sits in right place

Can be the turn signal canceling ring in a wrong position?

Check the clearance between your idler arm,or pittman arm and the exhaust,especially if you have headers on the car.

Or center link to oilpan clearance

worm gear, inside the box chipped or a broken tooth/vein (for lack of a better term)
chipped piece, moving around or getting in the way ?

best guess

Disconnect the drag link from the pitman arm... Then try it...If the binding/noise is still there it's in the box/column...

Chargervert's comment about clearance to the pitman arm is spot on, back in the 80's a guy I knew had a similar issue, when I looked for interference the car was lifted and nothing touched, but when sitting at ride height the tierod adjuster sleeve was turned in such a way the clamp scraped the header... If I hadn't noticed the shiny spot I could have easily missed the problem

Auto Transport Service
Back