• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Surface rust?

Any type of mechanical sander/grinder will NOT get all the rust pits out, it may be good to get the worst of it off and then use Evaporust or a rust converter. Be very carefull not to build up too much heat and dig too deep or the whole panel will be as wavy as the ocean.

They sure can. The rubberized abrasive wheels / discs are flexible and will even dig into shallow-medium pits and remove 100% of the rust. Deep pits? No, But at that point you really should be blasting. The narrow ones also are not generating enough heat to worry about. Been using them for decades and they really are superior product, just a little slow.

Not so sure about those big wide one's that have come out though. They may build some heat. I would certainly be careful at the start.

They sure can. The rubberized abrasive wheels / discs are flexible and will even dig into shallow-medium pits and remove 100% of the rust. Deep pits? No, But at that point you really should be blasting. The narrow ones also are not generating enough heat to worry about. Been using them for decades and they really are superior product, just a little slow.

Not so sure about those big wide one's that have come out though. They may build some heat. I would certainly be careful at the start.
Smalll areas sure, you can dig the rust out but not when the whole panel is that heavily rusted.

So, a cup brush, dust mask, and a lot of nasty dust, then a little evaporust...... Or, a few terry towels, some Evaporust & a little time...
I grew up farming, a cloud of dust from this is meaningless in my world. Takes A LOT less evaporust product if you start this way too.
but I live in the middle of nowhere so I can roll it outside and let the wind carry most of the issues away lol. Not as handy in town I imagine.

Save yourself some time and send the hood out to get it dipped or blasted by someone who knows how to blast otherwise the hood will be junk.

I used the Eastwood version of that Harbor Freight drum stripper tool. I didn’t have surface rust like that but essentially I stripped my entire car with it. It worked very well for me. I had no wavy panels as a result. Just keep it moving - don’t stay on a spot too long. Go back over spots, after you have gone across the panel. It’s not likely going to get into deep pits.

Auto Transport Service
Back