• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Terrible Wiring

beebest

Local time
6:24 PM
Reaction score
Taking a break from dash as I'm waiting on wiper linkage bushings. Decided to address some hacked up wiring under the hood. Didn't realize it was this bad, everything covered up up with ugly wire loom and tape. Who does such shoddy work???? It's a wonder this car didn't catch on fire. No fusible link just wire barely crimped wth butt connector. You can see evidence of connecter starting to melt. Needless to say, new harness on the way. Any ideas on how to clean bulkhead terminals? I was thinking of using some jewelry cleaner which has a mild acid in it, but not sure how to rinse it after, maybe contact cleaner? Any ideas? Thanks!!!

IMG_20240904_163303227_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240904_172523525_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Last edited:
I take each connector out of the plug, clean them with electronic cleaner. I use a brush and clean them well. Crimp the spades and reset the lock tab. Coat with dielectric grease and reinstall.

I take each connector out of the plug, clean them with electronic cleaner. I use a brush and clean them well. Crimp the spades and reset the lock tab. Coat with dielectric grease and reinstall.
Thanks, how do you clean the female ones in bulkhead, can they be taken apart as well?

Looks like normal added on circuits from years back. I took care of electrical issues on my 65 with a pair of cutters and some other tools. Snip, snip, out came all of the old wiring. I saved the molded plugs but booted the rest. Have a new 24/7 Ron Francis package on the shelf for when its spaghetti time.

Looks like normal added on circuits from years back. I took care of electrical issues on my 65 with a pair of cutters and some other tools. Snip, snip, out came all of the old wiring. I saved the molded plugs but booted the rest. Have a new 24/7 Ron Francis package on the shelf for when its spaghetti time.
Probably, but even back in the day, I tried to solder or use the dreaded wire splice taps that I now hate. Removed at least five of those from under dash.

I'm working on replacing my engine and forward light harnes, did a search on FBBO how to clean bulkhead connector. Found a thread that recommend these so I ordered a set.

Screenshot_20240904_142445_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, how do you clean the female ones in bulkhead, can they be taken apart as well?
Someone posted on here a special two sided file. I should have info. goes to original poster. I believe it’s on Amazon

IMG_1693.png

Taking a break from dash as I'm waiting on wiper linkage bushings. Decided to address some hacked up wiring under the hood. Didn't realize it was this bad, everything covered up up with ugly wire loom and tape. Who does such shoddy work???? It's a wonder this car didn't catch on fire. No fusible link just wire barely crimped wth butt connector. You can see evidence of connecter starting to melt. Needless to say, new harness on the way. Any ideas on how to clean bulkhead terminals? I was thinking of using some jewelry cleaner which has a mild acid in it, but not sure how to rinse it after, maybe contact cleaner? Any ideas? Thanks!!!

View attachment 1721791

View attachment 1721792
Remove and clean with Deoxit. I put new pins in mine, purchased on Ebay. Very easy. Purchased crimping tool on Amazon made specifically for these connectors.

Remove and clean with Deoxit. I put new pins in mine, purchased on Ebay. Very easy. Purchased crimping tool on Amazon made specifically for these connectors.
Thanks, I have new engine harness coming, but I also ordered new terminals and connector for headlight harness as it needs some repair at connector plug. I'll try and find crimp tool on Amazon.

View attachment 1721791

View attachment 1721792
I have seen wiring like that quite a bit.

Sometimes a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing in the wrong hands. :rolleyes:

Last weekend I pulled out my old engine harness, wires so brittle the insulation cracked each time you touched. Lots of splices and patches. I'm amazed the car ran so well.

Thanks, I have new engine harness coming, but I also ordered new terminals and connector for headlight harness as it needs some repair at connector plug. I'll try and find crimp tool on Amazon.
The best crimpers I've come across, somewhat affordable, for the Packard connectors our cars use is from American Autowire. They will do a proper crimp and not crush the terminal. You can get them as a pair or single. Get the pair.
Double and Single Crimper Set

Auto Transport Service
Back