• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Terrible Wiring

I take each connector out of the plug, clean them with electronic cleaner. I use a brush and clean them well. Crimp the spades and reset the lock tab. Coat with dielectric grease and reinstall.

Someone posted on here a special two sided file. I should have info. goes to original poster. I believe it’s on Amazon

View attachment 1721883
I ended up removing connectors out of bulkhead plug. I used baking soda paste, along with white vinegar to remove dirt and light corrosion since no one had deoxit locally. I also used brass and stainless steel brush to clean. Rinsed with wd40, dried off with compressed air, reset lock tab, light film of dielectric grease and reassembled. Way easier than I thought, just took me most of the day. Returned files to Amazon as not needed. Thanks everyone, your help is much appreciated!!!

IMG_20240906_170614725.jpg

IMG_20240906_171157538_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240906_101954330_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240906_165740560_HDR.jpg

The best crimpers I've come across, somewhat affordable, for the Packard connectors our cars use is from American Autowire. They will do a proper crimp and not crush the terminal. You can get them as a pair or single. Get the pair.
Double and Single Crimper Set
Technically, they aren't Packard connectors. The crimping method is the same but Packard 56 terminals have a folded-back lip that scrubs the male terminal and provides a better contact with the male pin. The wrap-around sides on a Packard terminal are square whereas the MoPar terminals are rolled over.
1725717849664.png

Packard 56 terminal

1725718109445.png

MoPar (Amphenol style) terminal

Hopefully new terminals arriving today via mail. I need to make a couple of repairs to wiper and headlight harness. Crimpers arrived yesterday. Going to remove wiper motor today while dash can still be rolled down. Easier to work on harness on bench. New engine harness wont be here until Thursday. Should be back up and running by next weekend and then I can finish installing dash and windshield.

FWIW, muriatic acid works well for cleaning up terminals and it won't hurt the plastic.

Just today, I did a bunch of junction blocks on a '51 Victoria that I'm doing a complete re-wire on. Left 'em in the jar for just under an hour, pulled them out, rinsed them with hot water and they're good as new.

FWIW, muriatic acid works well for cleaning up terminals and it won't hurt the plastic.

Just today, I did a bunch of junction blocks on a '51 Victoria that I'm doing a complete re-wire on. Left 'em in the jar for just under an hour, pulled them out, rinsed them with hot water and they're good as new.
Did you dilute it or use full strength? I have more to clean and that will be way more efficient. In fact I have some left over from cleaning concrete. Thanks!!!!

Did you dilute it or use full strength? I have more to clean and that will be way more efficient. In fact I have some left over from cleaning concrete. Thanks!!!!
Full strength. Poured enough into a glass raspberry jam jar to cover the part and let it sit for about an hour. Took it out and put the next one in and repeated the process.

Hot water rinse dries quickly so it doesn’t need to be blow dried.

Full strength. Poured enough into a glass raspberry jam jar to cover the part and let it sit for about an hour. Took it out and put the next one in and repeated the process.

Hot water rinse dries quickly so it doesn’t need to be blow dried.
Okay thank you. I'll definitely try it out.

Auto Transport Service
Back