• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Test for Dash light dimmer switch

dart14

Local time
8:28 PM
Reaction score
1969 coronet 500 convertible, standard dash. No dash lights. Pulled the switch panel plate out (that's another story) and have the dimmer switch out. Is there a bench test to determine if the dimmer switch is operative ? I've got full voltage at the top terminal connecter (14.5 v, that is probably another story to come - installed a new voltg regulator in Jan) with the key on acces and with the car running. After reconnecting the dimmer switch, I may get .01 v at the middle terminal, but basically no voltage at the middle or lower terminal. I pulled one of the dash lights out and it was not blown.

Test all your fuses. Do not look at them and say they look ok.

All I know is if the spring is not making good contact the dimmer switch does not work. A member here rebuilds them.
1713703249875.jpeg

Yes it could be. You most likely have power there for the headlights. Did you test the fuses?????
yes the fuse tests ok
i cant get any ohms reading between any of the 3 terminals. I think i did the voltage bench test with the dimmer connected in the car and got zero volts on the output terminals (grounded)
I dont see anything broken in the dimmer but looks like i have to find the rebuilder or get another one somewhere
thanks for the input

yes the fuse tests ok
i cant get any ohms reading between any of the 3 terminals. I think i did the voltage bench test with the dimmer connected in the car and got zero volts on the output terminals (grounded)
I dont see anything broken in the dimmer but looks like i have to find the rebuilder or get another one somewhere
thanks for the input
You can jump the terminals to bypass the rheostat and the dash lights should be on. There should be 12 volts at the black wire with the headlights on. If so jump to the tan from the black and the lights should be on.

Auto Transport Service
Back