• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Texas Toy Box - Beware!

The guys at Wheeler Dealers did an episode where they fixed up a Charger, and I thought they bought it from TTB but I'm not sure.

The guys at Wheeler Dealers did an episode where they fixed up a Charger, and I thought they bought it from TTB but I'm not sure.

I think that's where they did buy it... :iamwithstupid: can't sware by it thou... TTB they've had a bad reputation for a while now & the guys from Wheeler Dealer show just buy what's cheap, to turn & make a profit, taking it back to England & flipping it, they don't usually care about anything else... He paid like $25k for it too & it needed a bunch of little stuff done, spent like another $5k, but was a black on black 70 Charger 383 4spd car, with a straight body, good glass, no rust repair in the show that I remember... I don't remember what it sold for, but they didn't make very much for all the traveling & shipping, like normal etc.

All this talk about honesty from car dealers is making me a bit sentimental for the job. :) What's the truth and what's a lie? Technically, any car can be taken to a car show, or be ready to show, even if it's a rusted-out POS. My car will never be a perfect scoring show car, or win lots of trophies, but I still enter it in every car show that makes a request of me, and if the concourse guys don't like it, screw them. :)

I remember when I was working for Ford, and our dealership, along with every other dealership, proudly claimed to be "The Number One Ford Dealership in North Florida!", which made me wonder how can every dealership be number one? When I asked that question of management, I was told "as long as you can document that you sold more of something than anyone else, you can make the claim." So if one dealership sold more yellow F-150 STXs than any other dealership last month, they can claim to be the Number One Dealership, just not how they're number one at just one aspect of selling. It's not a lie, but not the whole truth either.

What folks need to realize with TTB and similar dealers is there is no way for them to make sales based on the cars they carry. They make sales based on price, not the vehicle, which is the way most used cars are sold because the value of a used car is 100% subjective and arbitrary and the statement that a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it is correct. One time we had a truck on the lot that had been listed in the auto shopper mag at 11,999, but the numbers on the windshield read 9,999. We got a call from a guy asking if the truck was still there, and I told him yeas. And he asked about the 11,999 price, and I told him I thought it was still good. I went to check with the used car manager, and he said "tell him we'll take 11,999", and then he got some new number decals and changed the windshield to 11,999. Was that ethical? Some would say no, but the reality was had the guy come to the lot first, he would have saved $2,000. Instead he tried to minimize his risk by calling first, and he lost $2,000.

This is why if I were TTB, I wouldn't list prices either. You can have someone with a price in mind of $30,000 and another with $20,000 for the same car, so why limit yourself? Since you're selling price and not the car, if someone calls in and is thinking 20K, you can work that deal, and if they call in thinking 30K, you can work that deal too.

As for condition, I wholly agree that not listing all the problems a vehicle has is deceitful, but folks, especially newbies, need to realize no dealer can order a 73 Road Runner or 69 Charger from the factory. Whatever cars are for sale are whatever is available for sale after being used and sitting around for 50+ years. About the only way to get a top-notch, fully-restored, vintage car is to buy one at auction or from a collector. The cars these dealers are getting are mainly old project cars that have been sitting around in one state of repair or another. If they were really nice, they would be selling at an auction, if they're selling at TTB they were too rough for an auction and were too risky to sell at one. TTB is going to be no better than anyone else. If they come across a really nice car, it's going to auction. If they find a beater, it's going on the lot. As long as you realize that going in, you won't be disappointed.

I know if the price isn't listed, I will just move on to the next... If it's not even worth the time or effort to actually price something, when your in a business to sell any type product {not just a private party, that may not know what's the value & says make an offer}, it's just wrong for a retail business to do that... I've been in the retail business & I've been around the car dealership/automotive business's & all the games for 38+ years now, I grew up around it... Thankfully there're only select small % of dealerships & select small % sales individuals, that do that type deceiving/un-ethical or subversive type stuff, like changing an advertised price or sticker price, bait & switch tactics, or what ever you want to call it, is still un-ethical period, no matter how you spin it... my $0.02 cents, why do you think especially used car salesmen {especially the little private lots & specialty co. dirt-bags}, all have such a horrible reputation, that's associated with the job {there's a reason for that saying} & I know 100's if not 1000's of people that sell cars for a living over the many years & make damn good $$$ selling them ethically... That advertise & sell at the advertised price or less when the people/buyer shows up to buy & negotiate at the dealership, that would also think it's un-ethical or in bad taste at a minimum too... To change a price on a car that's been advertised on the lot for one price & jacked up for a phone inquiry, you just tell them "it's listed here for $9,999 on the lot come on down"... Then you make a repeat loyal customer & save the person $2,000, it's not always about the salesmen's commission or the dealerships profit & bad business practices/sales tactics... I deal with a large dealership group 125 dealerships strong... Not all car salesmen think like that, Thank Goodness... sorry Bruzilla I'm not trying to call you out personally, maybe that's how you were taught by your sales managers or hopefully not by Ford Motor Co.... I guess we see car sales, much differently/Ideologically, sorry but I agree to completely disagree...

Last edited:
No problem Budnicks. I take no offense at anything anyone says about car dealers, especially their honesty, as one of the first things anyone learns when they sell cars is the folks who lie the most aren't the car sellers but the customers. :) They lie about their budget, their income, their credit, their motives, their needs, other deals they've gotten, their insurance, their schedule, their buying decisions... pretty much everything you can ask about they will lie about. Customers make salesmen look like paragons of honesty and integrity. :)

But back to the case in point, as I wrote before, TTB and other old car sellers do not sell cars, they sell prices. A great example of this was on Fast & Loud this past season when they re-did the paint guy's old Ford. Rawlings initially said he expected the car to bring in the mid to high 20s, but when the owner of the Mavericks came in to look at, the price he started at wasn't 30k, it was 80k, and he sold the car at 50k. That's an excellent example of why it's never a good idea for a dealer to establish a price on an old car.

I never had a problem with anything I saw happen at Ford, especially with used cars. Used cars have so, so, many variables that can impact their price (damage, how long they've been in inventory, mileage, color, smells, wear, interior, model year, other cars, etc.) that they honestly have no set value other than what a customer will/can pay. Customers will use any trick in the book to get a lower price, so it should come as no surprise that dealers will do things to get the higher price.

When it comes to buying cars I am honest about everything I talk to the dealer about. However there are several pieces of information I will NEVER tell them...my budget and my monthly payment requirements. DON'T EVER TELL THEM THAT! if you tell them you can spend $345 a month they will sell you a used pos for $344.98/month for 248 months...

I look at the cars I like, look at the prices and negotiate on the selling price of the car. If you know how much you can spend you already know how much your monthly payment will/can be. Its time to get off your asses and not be lazy when it comes to research.

You also have to always be willing to walk away, don't let them control the conversation. If they say come inside...stay outside...if they walk away, wait for them to come back. Don't let them control your moves, you need to control them.

I have had a dealer take my keys and hang them up in the managers office to keep me from leaving before...I damn near had to go back in there myself to get them.

I have done well with my purchases to date from dealers but do your homework, know your limits, control the conversation and always buy in person.

Auto Transport Service
Back