• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The car that ran on water

Hell there are plenty of examples of big auto and oil crushing competition and colluding, no need to go making them up!

Heck, during the big GM bailout, GM's own customer feedback showed the desire for more fuel efficient vehicles. And their own management had admitted to repeatedly ignoring their own customers all the back to the 80's. Not that I'd be interested in one of Europe's 3cyl diesels that get 50-60 mpg, but it's interesting that it isn't even available here in the US.

Heck, during the big GM bailout, GM's own customer feedback showed the desire for more fuel efficient vehicles. And their own management had admitted to repeatedly ignoring their own customers all the back to the 80's.

Reminds me of how the Camaro died. GM listened to all the experts saying people didn't have the money to buy performance cars, preferred SUVs, wanted fuel efficiency, and the high-performance era was over and done with. The folks at Ford went out to Mustang owners and asked them why they weren'y buying Mustangs and the feedback was "we don't want to pay for a Mustang that doesn't look like a Mustang!" That led to the 2005 redesign, history was made, and the auto industry was changed.

Hell there are plenty of examples of big auto and oil crushing competition and colluding, no need to go making them up!

Heck, during the big GM bailout, GM's own customer feedback showed the desire for more fuel efficient vehicles. And their own management had admitted to repeatedly ignoring their own customers all the back to the 80's. Not that I'd be interested in one of Europe's 3cyl diesels that get 50-60 mpg, but it's interesting that it isn't even available here in the US.
Well gents, I`ll tell u a true story. I had a Honda civic, just to drive to work. Can`t even remember what yr. exactly, 97 ? It was bought and kept in the family, until I gave it away. One summer I got caught up in the hydrogen thing, and bought the parts to make a small hydrogen generator. Well guess what, it worked! . I got to playing w/ that thing so much I didn`t do any racing that yr. The Honda got 44 miles per gal. on the hiway bone stock. After I got the little self producing hydrogen cell working , I got 49.9 miles to the gallon ! But, I couldn`t keep the stainless plates clean enough for it to work right very long, " that`s what got so time consuming". It was probably lack of money to keep up grading the stainless parts and such. I wasn`t making a whole lot of $ back then. I finally got tired of spending all my time on it (all summer), and pulled it off. I drove the car for a couple more yrs. and gave it away to a needy family that was struggling. Just think, if a plumber can make it work, what could some smart hi dollar corporation w/ automotive engineers do w/ it? gm, Toyota, and Honda all have or have had hydrogen cars on the market. Reportedly there are hydrogen filling stations on some major hi ways in Calif. , don`t hear much about it anymore. Believe it or not, 'I don`t care" ! But I know it works. No replies needed, not interested if u believe it or not, as there are those on here that don`t like to hear the truth !

Not that I'd be interested in one of Europe's 3cyl diesels that get 50-60 mpg, but it's interesting that it isn't even available here in the US.

That's because the cars are so small, there's nowhere to put on all the pollution crap needed for the US market. And, if they did put it on, the fuel mileage and power would drop 15-20%.

Remember that Honda produced a ZERO emission gasoline engine in late 90's?

Well gents, I`ll tell u a true story. I had a Honda civic, just to drive to work. Can`t even remember what yr. exactly, 97 ? It was bought and kept in the family, until I gave it away. One summer I got caught up in the hydrogen thing, and bought the parts to make a small hydrogen generator. Well guess what, it worked! . I got to playing w/ that thing so much I didn`t do any racing that yr. The Honda got 44 miles per gal. on the hiway bone stock. After I got the little self producing hydrogen cell working , I got 49.9 miles to the gallon ! But, I couldn`t keep the stainless plates clean enough for it to work right very long, " that`s what got so time consuming". It was probably lack of money to keep up grading the stainless parts and such. I wasn`t making a whole lot of $ back then. I finally got tired of spending all my time on it (all summer), and pulled it off. I drove the car for a couple more yrs. and gave it away to a needy family that was struggling. Just think, if a plumber can make it work, what could some smart hi dollar corporation w/ automotive engineers do w/ it? gm, Toyota, and Honda all have or have had hydrogen cars on the market. Reportedly there are hydrogen filling stations on some major hi ways in Calif. , don`t hear much about it anymore. Believe it or not, 'I don`t care" ! But I know it works. No replies needed, not interested if u believe it or not, as there are those on here that don`t like to hear the truth !

Hey, there is no doubt that hydrogen fuel cells work and are efficient. The issue with them has always been cost / maintenance.

The original post was about a 'perpetual motion machine' that ran on WATER ALONE. Ain't gonna happen.

That's because the cars are so small, there's nowhere to put on all the pollution crap needed for the US market. And, if they did put it on, the fuel mileage and power would drop 15-20%.
That's interesting, I always thought Europe was tougher on emissions.

That's interesting, I always thought Europe was tougher on emissions.

You got me thinking about that and it appears that we are both correct...

US, EU, Different air pollution standards
The picture at the top of this post shows the status of emission control standards in the U.S. and Europe. Note that US standards are strict on Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) and Particulate Matter (PM), while the EU is strict on Carbon Dioxide (CO2) and Carbon Monoxide (CO). In other words, European regulators are focused on fuel efficiency to limit the dependency on crude oil from Russia and the Middle East, and on greenhouse gas emissions to combat climate change. On the other hand, American regulators are focused on smog and health impacts of air pollution.

The 1990 amendments to the Clean Air Act focused on vehicle emissions connected with acid rain and smog. Remember when those were the hot button issues in America? Climate change is the issue today, but 20+ years ago we American’s had a different worry.

According to the study: “Three-way catalytic converters used to reduce emission in gasoline engines cannot cope with the high concentrations of NOx generated by diesel engines.” That caused both VW and Mercedes-Benz to stop selling diesels in America, for awhile. But because European air pollution standards focused on other pollutants, they were free to sell diesels in Europe, where the cars did very well.

Adding a urea tank and injection system is the method used by most automakers to mitigate NOx emissions from diesel vehicles. It’s thought that Volkswagen didn’t want the cost of that system, to hit lower price targets. Therefore VW’s cars did not have a urea system, and instead VW claimed to have solved their NOx emissions through some other mechanism. What we now know is that other mechanism was to lie and cheat the system. But it gave VW several years of strong sales of TDI Diesels in America.

https://longtailpipe.com/2015/10/02...u-emissions-standard-key-cause-of-dieselgate/

could be me he's referred to .. I'm just a dees and does kind of guy .. intellectuals don't like that
Yeah, i like to speak in ketchisms which seems to irritate scholars.
English & communicative arts were my best subjects in school, never studied, always got As & Bs.

You got me thinking about that and it appears that we are both correct...

Interesting. Those VW decision makers had a lot of balls. Company makes tons of cash / market share improvements then just work for a few years to eventually pin it on someone else in the department. I wonder if they even got a raise?

Hey, there is no doubt that hydrogen fuel cells work and are efficient. The issue with them has always been cost / maintenance.

The original post was about a 'perpetual motion machine' that ran on WATER ALONE. Ain't gonna happen.
Biggest issue with the hydrogen cars I remember was storage. High pressure hydrogen in a fuel cell = BOOM if something goes wrong. As in a serious bomb.

Maybe they were afraid we'd deplete the earth's water supplies....there was a car that ran on trash and beer but the beer consumers association shut that down after only one prototype! and doomed the builder to a life of shame in bad movie roles...........

doc.jpg delorean.jpg

Biggest issue with the hydrogen cars I remember was storage. High pressure hydrogen in a fuel cell = BOOM if something goes wrong. As in a serious bomb.

Yeah that was a bigun for sure. We tried to get around that in the late 90's for the military. Back then I did research for the army (contract) on fuel cells that ran on diesel... sorta. The idea was diesel was run through a mini reactor that broke off the hydrogen (that was outside our scope) then run through our fuel cells. Pretty novel idea really.

hydrogen is more of an energy medium or carrier, not a source like crude oil or solar. About as useless as ethanol in the united states. The only place ethanol makes sense is brazil where they make it out of waste product, instead of food grade corn like in the USA.

Not so my hooded friend ! Hydrogen is very powerful stuff, to the point of being dangerous. And that type of set up pro duces water at the tailpipe, "no" - 0 pollution. That`s what`s so amazing that it`s not catching on. And they are trying to sell the alcohol trip on us, which to me is utterly stupidity.

Auto Transport Service
Back