• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thermoquad questions/issues/missing parts/advice.

lostAF

Local time
1:41 PM
Reaction score
Hopefully I posted this in the right place. So, long time lurker first time posting. I have a Frankenstein of a build going and I could use some help and advice. It's a 1949 Willys Overland truck that sits on a 1977 Chrysler Cordoba frame with a 400bb and 4bl TQ carb. (9097s LB) This Is my first build involving a carb motor so bear with me please. I bought the whole thing in a million pieces and got it together and even had the engine running. Wasn't running great due to the carb being gummed up, out of tune etc. Found out it had a blown head gasket so replaced them, did a valve job and had the heads and intake ported. Get it all back together and add a msd street fighter ignition control but now the carb is even worse. You have to manually pump fuel into it for it to ever start then it just dies due to lack of fuel. I've tried playing with the adjustments per the info I've read on other post to no avail. I know my carb is missing some of the rods, clips, choke assembly. So my question is, should I just buy a 750cfm holley and go from there or try and track down parts for the TQ and learn it. I know very little about carbs but I'm a quick learner and served as a auto diesel mechanic in the Marine Corps so I do understand terminology and can work on stuff. Just need some advice on what's a better option for me or to see if anyone here has a different solution I haven't thought about. Thanks in advance.

Nobody likes a good running TQ more than me. However, they can take a bit of tuning to get them right and they're old so missing parts aren't easy to come by. I think buying a new, tight, current carb is your best bet. Everybody has a different opinion on what that carb should be and they'll all be here to argue about it shortly. But I do think a new whatever is your best bet.

What he said ^^^^^^^, I also love the thermoquad and run one on my 440.
Sounds like yours is missing a few parts and several things can cause the conditions you report.
I am thinking you probably have a (lean burn) 400 if it's the 77 cordoba engine.
Going with the msd should help I would place a adapter plate on your spread bore intake and use a 600 cfm edelbrock or holley.
Sounds like a fun project .

Thermoquad = the original Rube Goldberg carburetor.

Auto Transport Service
Back