• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

These Bracket Racers are Good (+ Pics)

I haven't been racing for a few years now but got the car together and with a new $$$ timing system went -.0044 -.0054 .0045 in a row. Seemed weird, and a bit quick. That was footbraking
20240625_225935.jpg

I haven't been racing for a few years now but got the car together and with a new $$$ timing system went -.0044 -.0054 .0045 in a row. Seemed weird, and a bit quick. That was footbraking View attachment 1685015

000/7.90, with a 1! Wow.
My guess is that a .035 package will win 95% of rounds, at my home track. (There are virtually NO dragsters, and very few box racers at Irwindale
You were cookin though.

John Dinkel lives local here in Howell Mi.
Doug
Oops! Then I stand corrected. Saw the photo of the white Ford (same as he races) and put the name and car together in my mind.

It’s still a great looking car.
It was bought by Larry Harroll (RIP) for Eileen Harroll to race at the LA
Dealer Auction in the 80's as a very used car and he then converted it into a Stock
eliminator raced car.

I purchase it from her maybe 15 years ago or so after it sat in the Widow's backyard
for a very long time. The 8 1/4 rear was frozen up, so I backed the yoke nut off some and
put it on the trailer. I hate 8 1/4s so I went ahead and changed the fluid and raced it with it.
Well it never broke and I raced with it that way for years.

I wonder if it is still in the race car?

The rats had eaten some of the wiring = I replaced that but did not change anything else and it
ran great and was never ever defeated in class except by my son's Aspen wagon in O/SA.

I set the record for the longest Sportsman Oil Down @123 Minutes to clean it up. I had the braided
steel line come off the trans cooler and it hosed down the entire track both lanes the entire length of
the track like a giant rainbird sprinkler!

The car was bright Red from trans fluid (Even coming out the side marker lights) and they would not
let me tow it back to the pits as it was such a mess. I had to trailer it to the car wash after they stopped
me on the return road. There was enough fluid left in the trans to hold pressure as the run was within a
few thou of the first qualifer. They year after that NHRA instituted a $1,000 fine for Sportsman Oildowns.
Many people called it "The Irving rule".

The 20+ year old trans still worked great even after that.

I bought the race car for $5,500.00 and sold it some years later turnkey and ready to race for $8,950.00.
I believe it sold last time for at least double that.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for the guy in the other lane. Run the number with an 8, and lose by that same.008. Ouch.
It wouldn't have been this close. I tightened it up at the stripe. Scrubbed .025 and 7mph. Took the stripe by 2 feet.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back